Author Topic: So ill ask this mold question  (Read 1166 times)

Offline SoManyChoices

• Minnow
So ill ask this mold question
« on: 02/14/18 16:26 UTC »
I don't know if it is taboo or not.  If it is someone can swat me with wooden paddle I guess.  I have the Do-It 2.5" carrot mold.  I don't like the amount of body you get from using the 1.75" mold as a tail.  Are there any alternative options?  I called and talked to the very nice lady at Do-It who told me they don't do custom mold making so. I'm looking mostly for 1.5625" tail possible a 1.625" tail. Now it may not sound like in the numbers it is a huge difference but the actual look of it very very noticeable.  Here is a picture.

Please and Thank You.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: So ill ask this mold question
« Reply #1 on: 02/14/18 16:31 UTC »
Shoot your mold in the color you want the tails, trim to your specific length, re-insert that portion and inject the finish color. No problem at all.

Offline SoManyChoices

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 02/14/18 16:36 UTC »
the bait in the picture is one I made.  While I don't mind cutting the tails it does get time consuming when youre cutting 500-600 tails a week.  The idea for a tail mold would cut my prep time by 75% or more.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/14/18 19:27 UTC »
I guess you’re stuck then. I’d just bite the bullet and hand cut.

Offline CrappieCat

• Yearling
« Reply #4 on: 02/14/18 20:44 UTC »
Some times I slide the 1.75 up in toward the spru on the 2.5 to get the smaller
head side but smaller length, not much

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/14/18 21:49 UTC »
This might work as long as the tail pieces do not slide when the incoming plastic puts pressure on them especially if you want to maintain the 2.5” length. There are custom cutters who might work with the tails to get you where you want to go using a Do-It tail as a model but I’m sure it would be a spendy project.

Offline SoManyChoices

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 02/16/18 05:16 UTC »
yea I was working on one myself using a snap razor blade.  the issue seemed to be making a piece to hold the bodies down while I cut the tail.  I made it out of wood.  Who knows if I get motivated enough ill make a second length of wood to stick into the jig to hold the bodies down.  That might work.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/16/18 07:43 UTC »
"Custom cutters"....I was referring to custom mold makers. Sorry for the mis-direction.

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 02/16/18 08:36 UTC »
Swear mine don’t have that much body and I use the 1.75 and 2.5 together.  I have a a lot of pics posted on them.

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 02/16/18 08:44 UTC »

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/16/18 19:15 UTC »
the bait in the picture is one I made.  While I don't mind cutting the tails it does get time consuming when youre cutting 500-600 tails a week.  The idea for a tail mold would cut my prep time by 75% or more.

There are plenty of custom mold makers.  Not all are as spendy as some.  You already have the dimensions you want.  If you know how to use CAD or similar it will lower the cost dramatically.  We tend to think and talk about the main 4 or 5 mold makers out there that have lots of exposure, forgetting that there are many people who love fishing and own CNC milling machines and like to occasionally cut some aluminum because they truly enjoy working with fellow anglers/bait makers... Do not give up.

Offline billygee

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 04/01/18 13:01 UTC »

Something to consider, depending on how particular you are:

try making a top pour tail mold out of plaster of paris

worked for me !

billygee  l ::)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 04/01/18 14:27 UTC »
The POP top pour would be an option. Not sure how durable POP would be for working with numbers like that but I guess its worth a try.