Author Topic: 1/16 oz collarless roundhead  (Read 845 times)

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
1/16 oz collarless roundhead
« on: 02/16/18 08:24 UTC »
Hi guys.
I got a problem with theese jigs.
When i twist of the sprue the head seems to getting loose around the hook, what causes this?
The mold is Pro something, an the mold is hot when casting (finally made myself an heating pan for the mold).
It is not really a big problem as i powderpaint the heads but it nags me...
What can it be doctor?
Magne

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: 1/16 oz collarless roundhead
« Reply #1 on: 02/16/18 09:21 UTC »
You really need to be holding on to the heads with a pliers or tool of some sort while twisting off the sprue due to the soft lead. I use a beading pliers for this. I'll get a picture for you shortly so you can see the tool's jaws.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/18 09:38 UTC »
I cut all my gate off even on the small jig.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/16/18 09:40 UTC »
Here's the picture...

The pliers are cheap. I found these at a JoAnns Fabric store but Hobby Lobby and Michaels will both have them as will any larger fabric store. Just ask for beading pliers. The head shown is 1/16 ounce so you can see how large of a plier to get. Take a jig with you for a visual comparison. I use this pliers on collarless heads down to 1/80 ounce and on some head where eye sockets are cast in the jaws fit right inside the socket on smaller heads to help in twisting the sprues without loosening the hooks.

You really do not need much pressure on a 1/16 head when twisting sprues. If you are denting the heads you're holding too tight. I've had these pliers for about 10 years...or right around 200,000 heads. Still ticking right along like that energizer rabbit.

The head in the picture was twisted off. I don't cut sprues on any of my jigs.

Offline MADA

• Keeper
« Reply #4 on: 02/16/18 10:51 UTC »
Thanks Tom.
I must ask what beading is, i will have to "translate" it to Norwegian.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/16/18 10:57 UTC »
Beading is a craft, just like this tackle making is. Glass and plastic beads are strung on light wire or thread to make all sorts of things from bracelets to baskets. Sure Norway has craft stores. Check them out and ask for beads or beading , using your Norwegian of course, and they should point you in the right direction  for the tool.

Offline MADA

• Keeper
« Reply #6 on: 02/22/18 04:24 UTC »
Sorry that i have not responded before Captain.
Nope, Norwegians do not dress up so we do not have craft stores for neclaces and stuff.
Our bling is a couple of twigs in the hair :D

I did find some pliers that is made for crimping fuses to detonaters that worked great on the 1/16 oz and bougth some "multi" pliers that worked on the 1/32 oz.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/22/18 08:58 UTC »
From twigs to bombs....whatever gets the job done! Good find.