Author Topic: Tied a little blue gill fly on a number 10 hook and this happened  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Went to the little panfish creek by our house hoping for enough little guys to fry up for dinner.
It was a slow day. 1 catch and 1 nibble between the group of me and the 2 oldest boys. I’m going to blame the United States Air Force for the slow fishing.

Where we were fishing is about 2 miles from an Air Force base and about 5-6, F-16’s were flying super low and loud on and off most of the day. Had I not been trying to fish it would have been a cool sight. I have a feeling it was scaring the fish it was about the loudest I have ever heard it even in all the years we have lived near the AFB. If it wasn’t spooking the fish I’m going to use it as an excuse.

Towards the beginning I threw in a black, blue gill fly I tied on a number 10 Mosquito hook. Water was murky so I thought black would be the way to go. I got a nice bite and started reeling it in and figured out pretty quickly it was more than a blue gill so I got worried I’d lose the fish on the tiny hook. I was able to put up a better fight than the fish and hauled in a nice 2 pound large mouth bass.

It did feel great bringing in a fish on a fly I tied my self with some Hobby Lobby craft feathers and no pattern. Looks like a wet rat in the picture but It looked good to the fish so I was happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Lines

• Lunker
That's how it is done! Nice work paneltruck.lures.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
PTL DON’T matter what it looks like if it catches fish awesome ties like that by me are gill getters.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline billygee

• Kicker
Amen to that WW  ;)

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
Fly tying does seem to offer its own satisfaction aside from standard tackle crafting. It almost therapeutic in a way. Time consuming, yes, but satisfying. I find myself tying more in the winter months when it’s too cold to be casting jigs or pouring plastics. Most of my tying involves making small ice jigs. I’ve researched standard flys and have adapted them for ice applications. Nothing wrong finding inspiration and adding your own tweaks. Here are a few I recently did. The first is a standard scud, that thing catches some gills! The second is my own creation. There are some neat thing being done with epoxy and tungsten for ice jigs, and I just tooled around and came up with what I call the chicken hawk. It’s just a tungsten bead on a small size 14? (Can’t remember) with Mylar wrapped on the hook shank and a sliver of soft hackle, then epoxy. I used a UV cured for these. Bottom line have fun and experiment

« Last Edit: 02/18/18 10:56 UTC by Thembonez »

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Thembonez nice tie scuds are a real gill getter and it’s surprising how small the tungsten beads are and have so much weight.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline MT204

• Kicker
At least you got the right hat on.

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
Nice paneltruck that is pretty cool.  a good fillet of Bass frying up right now sounds pretty darn good

Offline Isobnad

• Yearling

Here’s my latest experiment, don’t think they turned out to bad. And it was kind of funny when my wife asked why we got a big bag of colored unlubed condoms in the mail!!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
In spite of the supposed working materials, these look sweet.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Isobnad

• Yearling
In spite of the supposed working materials, these look sweet.

I seen where you can use latex gloves but the color options and price swayed me to the condoms.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
lol. And if the fish don't like the taste you can always use them for balloons, or....lol
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast