Author Topic: Football Jig w/Screw-Loc problem  (Read 1284 times)

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
Re: Football Jig w/Screw-Loc problem
« Reply #15 on: 02/26/18 14:00 UTC »
I haven't tried drop out or the tape yet but here is a picture. As I said, it's the craziest thing. I'm using a lee pot and ladle. As the picture shows, the 1/8 pours just fine as does the 1/16 even though it isn't in the picture.

So you are using a ladle, the funny thing about that is I use a ladle on problem molds that have issues with a bottom pour furnace. And you are pouring the larger sizes too with no issue? If the other large sizes aren't pouring then it is how you are pouring, you may be filling the cavity too slow, the 1/4oz head is twice the size of the 1/8oz, try dumping the lead in faster.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 02/26/18 16:58 UTC »
Have you tried filling that cavity first, or are you starting with others first? Could it be that it is always the 3rd cavity in your pouring sequence?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 02/26/18 17:36 UTC »
Using a straightedge, scratch a vent line from where the gate [the narrowing just ahead of the actual head cavity] and head cavity meet towards the midway point between the 1/4 ounce sprue [hole that you pour into] and the next larger size's sprue. Doesn't have to be pretty nor super deep, Use a common utility knife to do this making sure you have a good blade in it for this. Bear down on the knife a little bit but not so hard you can't control it and make sure the cut goes into the cavity and completely to the mold's edge. You can do a couple cuts if you want. The worse than can happen if you get the cut too deep is a tiny line of lead on the head that can be scratched off using a fingernail. You could even add another cut from the pocket where the spring sits straight up to the top edge of the mold.

Offline Ttop

• Minnow
« Reply #18 on: 03/05/18 16:05 UTC »
Using a straightedge, scratch a vent line from where the gate [the narrowing just ahead of the actual head cavity] and head cavity meet towards the midway point between the 1/4 ounce sprue [hole that you pour into] and the next larger size's sprue. Doesn't have to be pretty nor super deep, Use a common utility knife to do this making sure you have a good blade in it for this. Bear down on the knife a little bit but not so hard you can't control it and make sure the cut goes into the cavity and completely to the mold's edge. You can do a couple cuts if you want. The worse than can happen if you get the cut too deep is a tiny line of lead on the head that can be scratched off using a fingernail. You could even add another cut from the pocket where the spring sits straight up to the top edge of the mold.
[/quoted]

This fixed it. I used a piece of wire. Placed it where you said to cut a line with the straight edge and hit the mold with a hammer a few times. Pours great now. Thanks to everyone and sorry for the late reply.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 03/05/18 17:33 UTC »
Good deal! If you're happy, we're happy. Sounds like mission accomplished.