Author Topic: Bratwurst time  (Read 1201 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Bratwurst time
« on: 03/01/18 14:22 UTC »
I have 40 some odd pounds of pork laid out to thaw for my bratwurst for the summer. Actually 25 pounds will go to the grill fodder and the rest will be done as breakfast sausage. I'll have to see how the spring moves along but I may whip up another batch of pepperoni too. While the meat thaws for the next couple days I'm busy thawing and rinsing casings. On Tuesday I went to a buddy's house and whipped up about 30 pounds of venison hot dogs for him along with some bologna. I want to wrap up this meat play and get the grinder and stuffer packed away and the weather right now is pretty conducive to making sausage....so.....

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Re: Bratwurst time
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/18 18:19 UTC »
I do love me some bratwurst. Not good while I’m trying to trim back my gut but it’s one of my favorite meals.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Online BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://youtu.be/4wLtD4p9p9w
« Reply #2 on: 03/01/18 19:19 UTC »
Me, I like dat Andouille and Green Onion Sausage, but I ain't mad at nobody me.
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
"TaunT-O"  BKJ...2015
"DeJa Vu"  BKJ...2016
".o.v.e.r.p.o.p.u.l.a.t.i .o.n."  Earth
"My Finesse Worms are Better Than Zoom's"  BKJ

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 03/01/18 22:14 UTC »
Lol man tom you got me unthawing some venison now :-)  sausage sounds pretty dag on good.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/01/18 23:17 UTC »
That sound awesome Tom.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/07/18 17:25 UTC »
94 of the little monsters. Got the bags made so tomorrow its seal time and then to the freeze. I fried up the meat plug that came from the stuffer for an afternoon snack and have to say its a pretty tasty brat. No smoke. no cure. Ought to be very healthy eating. I have finally got the new charcoal weber put together and it will get broke in with some of these.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/07/18 18:10 UTC »
Yummy and mighty tasty.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/07/18 18:51 UTC »
I think I’ll stop and get a package of bratwurst for dinner after reading this. They won’t be up to the caliber of the ones you put together Tom but hey it will do. It’s the same as not everyone gets to date Jennifer Anniston.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/07/18 18:55 UTC »
yummm....brats on the grill. If that 7&^%$ snow ever gets off the deck I might just throw some on the grill.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://youtu.be/4wLtD4p9p9w
« Reply #9 on: 03/07/18 20:17 UTC »
What gives?  No Bratwurst pics?
I'm starting to think Tom's just bumpin' his gums about all dis Gourmet Sausashe.
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
"TaunT-O"  BKJ...2015
"DeJa Vu"  BKJ...2016
".o.v.e.r.p.o.p.u.l.a.t.i .o.n."  Earth
"My Finesse Worms are Better Than Zoom's"  BKJ

Online SteveJ

• Yearling
« Reply #10 on: 03/08/18 06:07 UTC »
Any chance of a Brat recipe?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 03/08/18 08:07 UTC »
What gives?  No Bratwurst pics?
I'm starting to think Tom's just bumpin' his gums about all dis Gourmet Sausashe.

Pics? Sure. Here's mine. Where's yours? Now you can go bump something and it won't be gums. lol

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 03/08/18 08:19 UTC »
Steve....

Simple recipe. 25 pounds of pork shoulder after boning and cutting into 1" cubes. I used High Mountain seasoning blend that came with a piece of equipment I bought a year ago. The seasoning comes in a heavy vacuum package and will keep for several years if not opened. The seasoning was spread over the pork and then was ground thru a medium large plate once, then stuffed in pork casings. No cure. Not going to smoke them. These are fresh sausage and will go right into vacuum packages this morning.

The seasonings can be bought in many stores up here: Fleet Farm and Scheels both stock them. I do a lot of sausage and use other places as a rule to get my seasonings and spices and other components used in sausage making. I just didn't want to toss this package of seasoning. I've used it before and it makes a very good sausage and pork shoulder, also called pork butts, was on sale at $.99/pound so I bought a mess and have been cranking out this batch of brats, breakfast sausage and Italian sausage. Except for the vacuum packing I am done now for a while. 

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 03/08/18 16:09 UTC »
That’s what I was waiting for the pics always make hungry.

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 03/08/18 19:09 UTC »
Me, I like dat Andouille and Green Onion Sausage, but I ain't mad at nobody me.

Same here!  Cajun food le meilleur, breaux!