Author Topic: rolling paddle tail  (Read 1019 times)

Offline jfc32440

• Yearling
rolling paddle tail
« on: 03/02/18 11:27 UTC »
this is my last project for some time to come have enough new designs for this years fishing season but this will be my hardest to yet im tryiing to design a paddle tail with a slight rolling action on the sides it is possible to do as i know some lures out there have it any tips greatly welcomed

Online bassinfool

• Lunker
Re: rolling paddle tail
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/18 16:50 UTC »
Paddle tail swimbait I'm assuming?

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/02/18 17:23 UTC »
The ripper does this

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/02/18 18:35 UTC »
jfc32440,

...lots of ways to achieve this.  If you cut your prototype with a straight line on top (on the back), where the tail is actually NOT fully round (think hand pour), the pressure from the forward motion of the bait in the water will send energy from the tail forward and down, creating the wobble you are talking about. (I like that wobble myself)  Hook placement and hook style will help too.

Hope that makes sense.

« Last Edit: 03/02/18 18:39 UTC by superharmonix »

Offline jfc32440

• Yearling
« Reply #4 on: 03/04/18 13:09 UTC »
I have a hand pour mould for this so can you elaborate a little as im very interested in getting this right so im assuming the top on the lure is flat and what else can i do  as regards getting this right
« Last Edit: 03/04/18 14:18 UTC by jfc32440 »

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/04/18 17:24 UTC »
You really will just have to play with it until you get it how you want it.  Lots of subjective things.  Grab a bait that is "3d" and the one you are working on, and one bait will swim more like what you want.  (you will instantly see the difference in that wobble.)  From there, you can dial in what changes to make in order to get it exactly as you want it.

What I was saying is especially that tail- as a starting point.  Instead of a tail that is shaped more oval, like an "O", you would have a tail shaped more like a "D" laying on its side.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/04/18 22:38 UTC »
There are so many things that effect the bait’s ability to have that side to side roll. Like has been said a swimbait should have a oval shape and the tapper to the paddle should be half the length of the bait. And the paddle in the shape of a Colorado blade. An when you hold the bait upright with you thumb and index finger the tail should fold over to aleast the halfway point of the bait. The ripper is a perfect bait and it will swim at the slowest retrieval speed.

Online bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/05/18 11:49 UTC »
The thinness of the tail segment between the boot and the body also plays a big role in how much the bait will kick and roll.

Offline jfc32440

• Yearling
« Reply #8 on: 03/06/18 02:16 UTC »
Cheers for all the info guys big helpful as always will rebuild another protype in light if this info but what about hook type and placement any recommendations

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/06/18 12:51 UTC »
Cheers for all the info guys big helpful as always will rebuild another protype in light if this info but what about hook type and placement any recommendations

My favorite way to rig a swimbait is with a weighted swimbait hook (Do-It makes the mold) screw-locked to the nose.  On small swims can also use a jig head with hook pierced through the top- that will remove most of the head wobble but not affect that tail.  On large swims, If you prefer to top hook the bait (out West we called it "Butch Brown" style), you will need to counterweight the bait or jsut the weight of the hook and the drag in the water will cause it to roll over.  If you ever want to do that get ahold of me through PM.  ...used to do a lot of those.

Keep enjoying the fun!

Offline jfc32440

• Yearling
« Reply #10 on: 03/19/18 06:02 UTC »
well info on my original paddle tail shows with a normal jig head hook I have the perfect action as in tail movement and rolling action but with a weighted swimbait hook I only have the tail action will do another protype and that's it for this year ive made 5 original lures for different types of fishing I managed to hammer seabass here on 3  of them the other 2 to be tested this season actually have been asked would I set up a company to make and sell my lures well its nice to see your hobby been appreciated