Author Topic: Greenbacks  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
Greenbacks
« on: 03/12/18 16:31 UTC »
While not genetically different from other walleyes, Lake Winnipeg eyes boast some of the most awe striking colors you've ever seen.  A brilliant emerald greenish blue hue covers the back of these eyes that swim in Limestone mineral based water most of their lives on the northern side of the 9,000 plus square acre Lake Winnipeg.  Not only is their color amazing but their size is off of the charts.  These fish are aggressive and bite big shiny aggressive baits.  Last weekend was my second trip to this unique part of the world.  I knew we were in for a treat when my first drop of the trip scored a 27" walleye.  Their aggression and moods that change hourly make these fat bottom girls some of the funnest and most challenging fish I've ever chased, eh.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Greenbacks
« Reply #1 on: 03/12/18 16:59 UTC »
Sounds like a prize-winner trip Kyle. Happy it all came together even with the weather you left in.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/12/18 17:31 UTC »
Sounds like a prize-winner trip Kyle. Happy it all came together even with the weather you left in.

90 West from Albert Lea to about 30 miles west of Fairmont was the worst road conditions I have ever driven on. Black ice. Have never seen so many semis in the ditch or jack-knifed.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/12/18 18:12 UTC »
Reminds me of a trip we took a while back and had the same near Ames.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 03/12/18 18:16 UTC »
They sure are some awesome looking fish. Glade you had the chance for trip like that. 8)
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/12/18 18:49 UTC »
Beautiful fish.....man I gotta get up there to Winnipeg
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 03/12/18 19:13 UTC »

Don't think I ever saw a walleye as pretty a color as that. They look more washed out on my nick of the woods.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/18 23:24 UTC »
What was your bait that you use the ultra minnow blade or spoons?
« Last Edit: 03/12/18 23:34 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/13/18 06:31 UTC »
 Nice job. You must have had your lucky charm with ya. I've never fished Lake Winnipeg before but I love that western Ontario, Manitoba area. I think for big northerns and walleyes is the best fishing in the world. That lake must be pretty clear most all the walleyes we catch are a golden brown or some are even a blue color. Might have to check that lake out on year.

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/13/18 08:19 UTC »
What was your bait that you use the ultra minnow blade or spoons?

My first big fish of the trip came on an ultra minnow in glow/chartreuse.  The rest of the trip I fed them custom spoons with different pink/purple combinations I had made.  I also used some Component Systems paint pens to dress up some Livetarget Golden Shiner rattlebaits that Lake Winnipeg is known for. The fish changed their appetite hourly and you constantly had to be changing baits.  Overall I had about 5 baits that produced consistently for big fish and they all had some sort of pink in them.

Nice job. You must have had your lucky charm with ya. I've never fished Lake Winnipeg before but I love that western Ontario, Manitoba area. I think for big northerns and walleyes is the best fishing in the world. That lake must be pretty clear most all the walleyes we catch are a golden brown or some are even a blue color. Might have to check that lake out on year.

No lucky charm with me on this one. We could have used the luck too.  Luck was not on our side at the start of the trip! Lake Winnipeg is usually pretty dirty.  Visibility is usually very low.  The Red River dumps a lot of sediment into the water and during the open water season high north winds stir up the mud bottom and make it a mess.  This year the water was clean...too clean... and we had to change our tactics and adjust.