Author Topic: 1st Wade of 2018  (Read 969 times)

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
1st Wade of 2018
« on: 03/28/18 12:03 UTC »
Got out on the water two weeks ago for the first wade of the year to grind out some Specs and a couple reds.  It was a fairly windy day and the water temp was lower than it was previously due to a front that came through, but it was still good to get wet. I picked off a couple reds early and it was looking pretty bleak for the rest of the trip as the other guys couldn't even get a strike. I was feeling pretty good about myself and let my buddies know it as i had the 2 reds on the strap. About 1:30 the trout finally decided to feed and those 2 went to work ripping lips. We finished out our 5 trout limit per man in the same spot fairly quickly, but due to my smack talking it took me a bit longer on the trout. Always seems to happen that way to who ever decides to run their mouth a bit.  Anyways, it was good to get out and i honestly would have been content just catching a sun/wind burn.  Wade fishing is my total zone out realm of pure relaxation. Its a bonus when the rod bends.

90% of these we caught on a 3.5" (Lip)Ripper in Black w chartreuse tail.  They wouldn't take anything else, and we threw everything including the kitchen sink.

Find a spot on the South Shoreline

Online alwrenn

• Kicker
Re: 1st Wade of 2018
« Reply #1 on: 03/28/18 12:56 UTC »
Niiicceee SB!

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/28/18 13:36 UTC »
Sweet eaten there and a awesome day.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/28/18 13:37 UTC »
That sure looks like fun fishing. What do you do if a shark decides that those strung fish look like good meal?

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/28/18 13:56 UTC »
Good way to start the year!

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 03/28/18 14:04 UTC »
That sure looks like fun fishing. What do you do if a shark decides that those strung fish look like good meal?

Let him have it.  Unfortunately it does happen but thats also why you dont tie your stringer to you. I have a wade belt with a slip on it so i can get it out pretty quick.  They just want the easy meal and wont mess with you, but when and if it happens it makes your butt pucker up to the size of a decimal point.  I have also seen a buddy of mine pulled under by his stringer by a Dolphin. Funniest thing i have ever seen and didnt think they would do that until i saw it with my own eyes.  But to be honest it doesnt happen very often.

Usually when the sharks come into the bay, i switch tactics and mostly go after Redfish. Waist deep or less is my policy in the summer.  Those trout were caught in about mid stomach deep water.  Just a couple inches shy of the top of my waders.  The good news is in a couple weeks, we shuck the waders and wet wade.

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 03/28/18 14:11 UTC »
On a side note Tom, last year an 8 ft Tiger came into that particular bay.  The only reason we know this is because it had a tag on her and you could track its movements online.   Needless to say i quickly turned into a drift fisherman for a few months until she decided to leave.  I generally fish East Matagorda Bay, and there is no direct cut to the gulf so sharks are few and far between.  They tend to swarm in areas where they can get back out into the gulf in a hurry if they feel the need.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/28/18 21:46 UTC »
Way to go slow burn. Sounds like a bunch of fun. Especially flickin' your buddies some crap!

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/29/18 05:40 UTC »
  I've always wanted to try that. Nice job

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/29/18 11:47 UTC »
Looks like a fun day. Some day I need to try some fishing like that.

Online Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 03/29/18 17:21 UTC »
Looks like a pretty cool Fishing trip for sure

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 03/29/18 18:26 UTC »
Very nice other, than that damn Aggie hat  :)
« Last Edit: 03/29/18 19:53 UTC by Paneltruck.lures »
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Coastalwaters

• Yearling
« Reply #12 on: 03/29/18 18:57 UTC »
I know a guy in Texas, his sons arm was ripped to shreds by a shark when he was wade fishing in East matagorda.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk