Author Topic: E Core Ned  (Read 802 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
E Core Ned
« on: 03/28/18 13:05 UTC »
I took some time to play with the Midwest Finesse bait this morning and thought I'd do it ECore style. Given the thickness of the bait and the mold's cavities a fairly large rod can be fitted to get the core done. I opted for 16 penny coated nails and ground the heads down not quite flush to the shank of the nail. The picture shows how far down I ground the heads pretty well. I didn't shorten the nails at all but could do only one side at a time. Obviously a shortened nail would allow all 8 cavities to get filled at once. The nails will slide once the mold is closed and handled to clamp so the best way to clamp is to just stand the mold straight up on its edge from the position used to place the nails. Since I was only doing the one side I left the other side baits in place to cut down on plastic needed.

After the first injection of the clear glitter the baits were pulled off the stringer, the nails slid out from the tail ends of the baits and then the bait's tails trimmed off. The mold was re-filled again on the odd side and the pink was injected. The mold makes this a very simple process. The baits turn out real nice.

I think a 20 penny coated nail could be used if the shank were shortened by cutting off the nail's head and putting the pointed end towards the runner. With a slightly larger diameter rod a  second rod could be inserted in that hollow before injecting the second color, then by removing the smaller rod a third color could be injected to make the tail or even create a two color tail. I think clothes hanger wire would work good for the second rod.

I've ordered another mold. This one has a glitch in the metal stock not related to any machining or production processes that causes a little flash, which you really can't even see in this picture. In spite of that little irritation the mold shot these very nicely. As mentioned in another thread, topping off is a must because the baits pull a bunch of plastic after the injection. I just naturally hold some pressure when the injector stops so I didn't encounter any dimples...I think someone mention having a couple pop up on his. The mold has a ton of potential what with this coring and tail colors. Some handy work hand pouring partial fills on the cavities on both mold sides then injecting a third color is another option.  And now no more gnawing off a senko to get a ned makes this a pretty decent mold.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: E Core Ned
« Reply #1 on: 03/28/18 14:00 UTC »
I can see that working for both bass and walleye with different colors.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/28/18 14:00 UTC »
Those look really nice as usual, Tom.  I'm wanting to do either a blue color or maybe some watermelon blue flake and then shoot chartreuse through it.  I've had that thought and then a brown/pumpkinseed color and then fluoro orange through it.  Lots of ideas and lots of potential like you said.

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/28/18 15:16 UTC »
  You know I thought about trying this the other day and never got around to it. But I like how this turned out. I'm thinking a smallmouth might like that too. The only problem I have found with the mold is I only make baits for myself. I shot three times with three different colors and now have six dozen baits. You don't get a lot of time to play with it. But I love the idea that Z Man doesn't get anymore of my money. I was about the only bait I was buying.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/28/18 15:19 UTC »
With the nail its a slick way to make a bait. Straight thru and plenty of body to allow a larger rod so plug-ups won't happen much.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/28/18 16:08 UTC »
Sweet color Tom

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/28/18 17:01 UTC »
This is just a uv enhanced clear with plenty of the Party Crasher string glitter added....real quick becoming my favorite clear/glitter color. Just a little natural light fires this glitter up into a whole world of dazzle.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/29/18 21:59 UTC »
I've had that thought and then a brown/pumpkinseed color and then fluoro orange through it. 

That's what I was essentially thinking (but in a clear motor oil with flo-orange)... it'll look like a Swisher Sweet that is still burning and you know there will be plenty to take a puff (hit it).