Author Topic: jig top coat over glitter  (Read 1146 times)

Offline bassbuster

• Keeper
  • hell yea
jig top coat over glitter
« on: 03/31/18 09:32 UTC »
what is used for a top coat over a jig that has been rolled in glitter. and baked  I powder paint the jigs and do a quick roll into glitter to cover the whole jig  looks great   the store bought house jigs that I'm copying have a smooth finish after  baking  setting the glitter hard into the paint   I don't think epoxy as its a thin coat...    any help

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
Re: jig top coat over glitter
« Reply #1 on: 03/31/18 09:43 UTC »
CS seal Coat might get what you’re looking for.
https://store.do-itmolds.com/Seal-Coat-_p_807.html

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/31/18 09:43 UTC »
I'd try re-heating the heads with a hair dryer then dipping in clear powder coat.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline bassbuster

• Keeper
  • hell yea
« Reply #3 on: 03/31/18 10:03 UTC »
CS seal Coat might get what you’re looking for.
https://store.do-itmolds.com/Seal-Coat-_p_807.html
  yes thank you that's what I'm looking for   ill see if I can gets some pics posted of what I'm doing..

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/31/18 10:20 UTC »
The seal coats tends to be fairly thin too...so you know. You may have to dunk a surface glittered jig a few times to get an adequate layer of protection.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/31/18 11:00 UTC »
If you want the glitter to look good without a rough finish don't just roll a powder painted jig in glitter. There are 2 ways to do this, the first is to get the glitter top coat made by Protec or make your own using glitter and clear powder. The second way is to mix up 2 part epoxy and add the glitter to that and coat your jig head. I use Devcon 2-Ton and it has to be the 2-Ton and not the 5 minute and it has to be Devcon. The reason you don't want the 5 minute is that is has a yellow tinge to it, the Devcon brand is thick when you mix it but it self levels and when you brush it on it doesn't sag when you hang it, some other types of topcoats require a lure drying wheel to keep the finish even while drying.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/31/18 11:36 UTC »
Here is a link to what Smalljaw mentioned. It dries clear.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=DEVR2030&P=FR&atrkid=V3ADW3A24148B_45992359666_pla-302478605406__221282308797_g_m_pla_with_promotion__1o8&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4_zVBRDVARIsAFNI9eA2uyrggYOhszRQflmRUHlLQ9rGlfXroWTYYiA6Jgk-ntEy4qzJlWwaAsRtEALw_wcB

I also use the CS Coatings and it works well. Hang your jigs by the eye and you can scrape the coating off the shank of the hook with your thumbnail before it completely sets (I scrap it off after about 30 minutes.) "Dip and Drip" !
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"