Author Topic: Back to the small fry  (Read 619 times)

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
Back to the small fry
« on: 04/01/18 09:40 UTC »
I was sitting and wondering what if...
My head works that way.
I was thinking of how to use the polyester and mica powder without having to clear dip.
So i first ecored some and cut of the tails.
Then i took some smaller dia core and smeared the inside and brushed the tail section of the mold with some powder and shot the plastic.
It's hard to see but the black tails really have that purplish shine to them.
The pink is just polyester done the same way.

Offline MADA

• Keeper
Re: Back to the small fry
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/18 09:56 UTC »
Sorry abouth that post.
Much of the mica will come of if you rubb hard.
The polyester is not so prone to it so i going to try some mica mixed with mica and see if that sticks better.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/01/18 11:43 UTC »
It's cool. Always nice to see what didn't work along with what did work. Looks good anyhow.

Online Isobnad

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 04/01/18 23:39 UTC »
I agree. It’s nice to hear what doesn’t work. And if I have learned anything from reading on here, someone will figure it out. By the way those baits look real good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MADA

• Keeper
« Reply #4 on: 04/02/18 01:11 UTC »
Reading my own post:... mica mixed with mica
Mica mixed with powder paint is what it should be..
Well i tried that but the result was not all that nice looking.
I did make some plastic coloured with black mica and purple flip mica that gave some shine but not nearly as good as when brushed on.
Back to the drawing board.

Offline MADA

• Keeper
« Reply #5 on: 04/02/18 06:57 UTC »
Here is a pick of two different "background" to the mica core.

Offline toadfrog

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 04/07/18 02:20 UTC »
When you put the mica on a finished bait. Try heating it with a heat gun or hair dryer. Bet it sticks and shines .

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/07/18 08:48 UTC »
I did make some plastic coloured with black mica and purple flip mica that gave some shine but not nearly as good as when brushed on.
Back to the drawing board.

I've done a dozen different batches of black by adding the color shift pearls to the plastic itself without a lot of wow. By far and away the best use of the color shifting [flip mica I'll assume] is to brush it on the body of a black bait, then dip it in clear plastic to seal it up good. The clear dip also amplifies the effects of the pearl. There are some of the color shifting pearls that are developed to go into clear a suspension such as finger nail polish which will then be applied over a base color. These pearls could go into clear plastic and used as a cover dip to get the desired effects from the pearl, or  this type of pearl could be brushed over that base color and finished with a clear dip.

Most of the pearls used in plastic simply lose 50% of their ability to "work" because they get lost in plastic color. By brushing the same pearl on the surface of a bait with a high contrast base color [black, very deep green, very deep blue, very deep purple] the reflective nature of the pearl comes to life in a big way because the actual pearl coat is so thin that tons of light can pass thru it going in and is absorbed by the black underneath it. That light is not reflected to pass back thru the pearl like a light base color would do. The pearl coat lets light in and that black base color is sucking light like no tomorrow and that's where the dramatic effects come from. That clear top coat makes the color that much more crazy because the clear is wrapped around the bait and will twist the light that hits the bait because of its thickness. There is basically no thickness to the pearl coat so it doesn't twist the light much. The clear? Quite a bit.

Mike J made some paddletails that used a core done with scale netting and brushed hi lite [I think it was hi lite powder. Maybe Mike will chime in on this] and these were set in the cavities of the paddletail mold and injected with a clear I believe. These baits were outstanding, yet they would have been less so if that clear plastic did not coat the pearl.

Someone mentioned using a heat gun or hair blower to heat up the pearls brushed on the surface of a bait, but if the heat gets out of hand the tails can curl while cooling.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/07/18 08:52 UTC »
Here's a link to some of Mike's handy work....

http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=9782.0