Author Topic: Help!!! Mini mite mold  (Read 6221 times)

Offline Isobnad

• Yearling
Help!!! Mini mite mold
« on: 04/01/18 23:01 UTC »
I’m looking for something similar to popular and expensive “Mini Mite”.  I sure they have rights to that design but there has to be something close??? I have looked all over and have either missed it or I’m looking in the wrong place. The “Mini Mite” has always worked but I would prefer to make my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
Re: Help!!! Mini mite mold
« Reply #1 on: 04/02/18 00:58 UTC »
I think Jacob have something simular but his site is down at the moment.
If memory serves an old man right he has some with an ball at the end of the tail.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/02/18 06:12 UTC »
  Di-it has the flap jack that's pretty close to the mini mite. https://store.do-itmolds.com/Flap-Jack--2in-br-10-Cavity_p_110.html I'm not big on crappie fishing but from what I read on here the popular mold is the Thumper Swim-Fry. I just ordered it for when I want to just fun fish because everyone keeps talking about how well they do with it. Maybe not exactly what you are asking for but maybe it is. https://store.do-itmolds.com/Thumper-Swim-Fry--2in-br-10-Cavity_p_192.html

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/02/18 07:35 UTC »
This is as close as you'll get to the mini-mite bait without having that horrendous ball on the end.. 

http://stores.jacobsbaits.com/little-wiggler-1-3-8-20-cavity-mold/

Jacobs made a mold at one time years ago that came awful close to the mini-mite but ran into issues with patents. I had one of those molds and the headaches that came with it and the baits were very nice.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/02/18 11:27 UTC »
Ide step up from the mini mite to the thumper swim fry and save yourself some money and catch more fish.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/02/18 12:01 UTC »
I agree with Mike and Lamar on the Thumper Fry. The 1.5" Thump-It would be a step ahead of the mini-mite too.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline CrappieCat

• Keeper
« Reply #6 on: 04/02/18 16:44 UTC »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/02/18 18:07 UTC »
No Crappiecat, that's not close. What you have there is a stinger bait. Its a darned good bait though and better than the mini mite.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/02/18 19:09 UTC »
This picture shows a mini-mite on the left, the Jacobs first edition mini-mite in the center and the second, or the replacement to Jacob's first mini-mite bait on the right. All three of these baits have been to a US Supreme Court in a patent battle. And I , with the Jacob's designs, prevailed.

The original mini-mite body is 1 1/2" in length, has 13 fine ribs and a tail button that resembles an inverted funnel....it looks much like a miniature funnel with a long neck for adding oil to hard to reach places on a car. That tail button is circular if viewed from the end. The jig is an original that is in the plastic when purchased and is a long shanked size 10 hook which is great for sunfish and crappies if you can keep the hooks from snapping off or the eyes from doing like-wise. This issue, along with the tail buttons being ripped off too easily are a real problem for the bait's success.

The first, or center, Jacobs design was 1 3/8" in length and the body consisted of 7 round segments, a "grub type" body if you will. The tail button while funnel-shaped is as flat as a pancake. His second style is identical to the first in every aspect except for the tail button which is round, not triangular. Both of these baits are a world apart from the mini-mite as far as productivity goes. The flat aspect of each style means that the baits can be put on a jig with the tail buttons vertical or horizontal to tailor the drop rate and action on the drop. Plastic can be used that means tougher tails and no bite-offs. Of course the amount of color variations we can make is a shadow over the commercial bait.

When Jacobs came out with the first mold I bought the first one. Several others were bought by others too. The holding company in Chicago that owns Cubby Tackle, aka mini-mite, saw pictures of the baits they wrote nasty letters to Rick threatening legal action if he didn't destroy his cnc program and hand over any and all molds he'd produced. Rick complied and then cut a mold with a different tail design, the round one. I can still get my mold to use when I want to make some of the first generation baits as I prefer the triangular shape. I have the round bait mold and make many of those baits as well. The round tailed baits are what will be made in the Jacobs mold I included in the other post with the link. The triangular bait is not available thru Jacobs Baits as far as I know.

As mentioned in several posts here, there are better baits one can make than this mini-mite.  Better plastic, better colors, better action in the alternatives make this an "old bait".

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #9 on: 04/02/18 20:20 UTC »
Tom are both Jacobs or just the far right one. And agree there are better bait’s out there already mentioned.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 04/02/18 21:14 UTC »
Both of the purple/chartreuse baits come from a Jacobs mold. Only those on the far right are available today.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Isobnad

• Yearling
« Reply #11 on: 04/04/18 00:48 UTC »
This picture shows a mini-mite on the left, the Jacobs first edition mini-mite in the center and the second, or the replacement to Jacob's first mini-mite bait on the right. All three of these baits have been to a US Supreme Court in a patent battle. And I , with the Jacob's designs, prevailed.

The original mini-mite body is 1 1/2" in length, has 13 fine ribs and a tail button that resembles an inverted funnel....it looks much like a miniature funnel with a long neck for adding oil to hard to reach places on a car. That tail button is circular if viewed from the end. The jig is an original that is in the plastic when purchased and is a long shanked size 10 hook which is great for sunfish and crappies if you can keep the hooks from snapping off or the eyes from doing like-wise. This issue, along with the tail buttons being ripped off too easily are a real problem for the bait's success.

The first, or center, Jacobs design was 1 3/8" in length and the body consisted of 7 round segments, a "grub type" body if you will. The tail button while funnel-shaped is as flat as a pancake. His second style is identical to the first in every aspect except for the tail button which is round, not triangular. Both of these baits are a world apart from the mini-mite as far as productivity goes. The flat aspect of each style means that the baits can be put on a jig with the tail buttons vertical or horizontal to tailor the drop rate and action on the drop. Plastic can be used that means tougher tails and no bite-offs. Of course the amount of color variations we can make is a shadow over the commercial bait.

When Jacobs came out with the first mold I bought the first one. Several others were bought by others too. The holding company in Chicago that owns Cubby Tackle, aka mini-mite, saw pictures of the baits they wrote nasty letters to Rick threatening legal action if he didn't destroy his cnc program and hand over any and all molds he'd produced. Rick complied and then cut a mold with a different tail design, the round one. I can still get my mold to use when I want to make some of the first generation baits as I prefer the triangular shape. I have the round bait mold and make many of those baits as well. The round tailed baits are what will be made in the Jacobs mold I included in the other post with the link. The triangular bait is not available thru Jacobs Baits as far as I know.

As mentioned in several posts here, there are better baits one can make than this mini-mite.  Better plastic, better colors, better action in the alternatives make this an "old bait".

Thanks for all the info, I figured there would have been some legal issues. I will probably pick up one of each the do-it mold that was mentioned and the Jacobs. Before I got into this my tackle box was pretty basic....and the Mini Mite was in there. I didn’t use it a ton simply because of the price, but like any other bait when someone gives you one and you have a great day with it you will always have it in your box. With that said I’ve only been doing this for a year, but I really don’t like using anything I don’t make. Just yesterday I went down to the river sauger fishing and started with my 3” ES grub, the only size grub I got.  Only had a couple bites so I reluctantly put on a 2” store bought which is the size I normally use. Still didn’t catch any before battery problems ended the day.  Long story short now I need a 2” grub mold!! It will be a good day when all my plastics and lead are homemade. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 04/04/18 06:04 UTC »
  After a while it gets stupid how many molds you own. The nice thing is there is very little I can't make. I know my stuff is a little different and the fish don't see that everyday like the store bought stuff.

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
« Reply #13 on: 04/04/18 07:28 UTC »
Isobnad, regarding 2" grub mold i got mine from Jacobs yesterday and really love it.
Shoots 20 ea in one shot and i like the slim body.
I got the 3" from him also.
I got the 3" ES but i did not like the thick body on theese.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 04/04/18 09:17 UTC »
Isobnad....

You could always contact baitmolds.com and arrange to send him an actual mini-mite as a master to make you an exact stone mold. He's eastern European and has no allegiance to US patents and isn't bound by any laws. He's fairly reasonable too.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they