Author Topic: My weather forecaster  (Read 1085 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
My weather forecaster
« on: 03/31/18 09:58 UTC »
I had this gifted to me from an estate of good friends. Its called a sailor's weather gauge. As a storm or rain approaches, the  barometric pressure ahead the weather rises. By watching the fluid in the tube you can tell when rain is eminent because the high pressure pushes the water up the tube. The higher up in the tube the water goes, the closer the rain is and/or the more intense the storm is about to be. This little thing has never failed, unless the water level is allowed to get too low. With the colored water [for instant visibility] that little cup is imperative as the paper in the bottom shows.

We got this about 5 or 6 years ago and since I have looked in may antique shops for any others and have seen only one and that one, while much older, was in real tough shape...so no sale. The last couple storms we've seen here have had the water bouncing up and down like a yoyo. I had to add water this morning, but prior to doing so the water was about 2/3 of the way up the tube....not crazy weather for here but not that far away. This unit works better than the tv weather people. lol

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Re: My weather forecaster
« Reply #1 on: 03/31/18 12:19 UTC »
That thing looks cool I dig it.

You are spot on about the weather people on TV. Supposedly the best school in the country for meteorology is down the street in Norman but our TV stations end up with the worst ones they can find. Easy on the eyes but bad at weather forecasting. I guess it’s all about ratings
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 03/31/18 13:18 UTC »
We have a better chance a telling what the weather is going to be than they do with gauges like that Tom.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/05/18 11:12 UTC »
You know this has always been something I've been curious about  and thought about picking one up also. A guy on youtube made one out of a glass Coke bottle and a quart jar with red food coloring and water.  He says its always worked good for him so im thinking about giving it a try.