Author Topic: Using Softener  (Read 502 times)

Offline SBuck88

• Kicker
    • Buck's Baits
Using Softener
« on: 04/12/18 12:10 UTC »
How much softener do you recommend to soften up my medium plastic for softer Senkos?
Thanks
`•.¸¸ ><((((º>.•´¯`•><((((º>
><((((º> •...><((((º>
•...><((((º>
http://facebook.com/Bucksbaits
Twitter & Instagram: @BucksBaits

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Using Softener
« Reply #1 on: 04/12/18 13:52 UTC »
That would depend on what plastic [Essential, Crystal Clear, ?????] you are using and whether you're adding a compound to weight them up.

Online Jkwbwca

• Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 04/12/18 15:37 UTC »
With essential plastic no HD (maybe 2tbsp glass bead media) I use 1 cap full of the pint size bottle in 4oz.  With 2 tbsp of HD in 4 oz I use 1/4 cap to 1/2 cap of softener.  Those ratios seem to work for me.

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 04/12/18 17:12 UTC »
When I make senkos I vary up the recipes but my favorite is 4 ounces medium plastisol and three tablespoons of softener.  The first time I tried this I thought I really screwed up when I demolded.  The baits just felt funky.  After curing however, they were just like I wanted them.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline SBuck88

• Kicker
    • Buck's Baits
« Reply #4 on: 04/12/18 17:29 UTC »
That would depend on what plastic [Essential, Crystal Clear, ?????] you are using and whether you're adding a compound to weight them up.
I use Essential medium and add a tablespoon of salt and glass media.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

`•.¸¸ ><((((º>.•´¯`•><((((º>
><((((º> •...><((((º>
•...><((((º>
http://facebook.com/Bucksbaits
Twitter & Instagram: @BucksBaits

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/12/18 19:04 UTC »
My personal feelings are that 3 tablespoons in 4 ounces is a bit much but with the salt and glass in 4 ounces I could see 1 1/2 tablespoons as a start. You can always adjust either more or less. I guess I'd find a starting point and make adjustments as to amount using more and less and keeping track of the results.

I make primarily small baits and one full quart of softener to a 5 gallon pail of Essential and get a real nice working plastic at that ratio. I've got Essential that has no additional added softener that I use for larger baits....walleye sized baits.  I don't add salt or HD or glass or anything to weigh down my plastic but I do know that some components used for weight also affect the stiffness or softness of the plastic.