Author Topic: Tried it again.  (Read 150 times)

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
Tried it again.
« on: 04/24/18 12:30 UTC »
So I went to a local conservation lake that I haven't fished in several years to see if the crappie were spawning.  Why yes, yes they were.  The only problem was their size.  I lost track of how many I caught but certainly 60 or 70.  The number of keepers?  3!  Yep, 3 keepers out of all of those fish.  This lake has always fished like this with larger crappie spawning after the smaller ones have had their fun, so maybe in a week it will change.  Tomorrow, I will try a state park lake about 8 miles away and see how it is fishing.  The little Jacobs curlytail provided most of the action this morning/  It drew a strike literally on every single cast.  Sometimes I would get hit 4 or 5 times on a single retrieve.  Crazy
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Tried it again.
« Reply #1 on: 04/24/18 13:37 UTC »
We have some lakes like that here in Indiana. They ran a survey on one of them. After two hours they had netted approx. 8,000 between two and four inches! They quit the survey. Now in the late fall that's a good lake for getting pickeled fish! Lots of work filleting those little suckers but good eating.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/24/18 15:49 UTC »
We have some lakes like that here in Indiana. They ran a survey on one of them. After two hours they had netted approx. 8,000 between two and four inches! They quit the survey. Now in the late fall that's a good lake for getting pickeled fish! Lots of work filleting those little suckers but good eating.

I ice fished a backwater next to a highway one Friday when all of the local schools had the day off. By 4 oclock there had to be a thousand sunfish laying on the ice about the four inch size you mention Gary. The kids just caught them and tossed them on the ice like they were trash. About three pm a CO showed up and stood there shaking his head at all the dead fish. I told him I'd pick up a mess of them if he'd give the permit for them and said I'd take them home to pickle. I ended up with about twenty five pints from that. Those small fish have a purpose.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/25/18 08:13 UTC »
Little green lake was like that at one tim. Blue gills were stunted because of it. I had heard the DNR had netted a 500,000 pounds and put the in another lake.