Author Topic: Early morning venture....  (Read 175 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Early morning venture....
« on: 05/02/18 11:33 UTC »
We had some crazy weather here last night. Thunderstorms with some serious lightning quite close. Wind, of course. Several waves of storms ahead of a cold front. I had no idea what I'd find at the lake north of here but as long as I couldn't sleep beyond 5AM I got dressed and headed out to the dock. Good move today.

For once the wind was actually favorable from the dock and allowed me some wiggle room to make a few long casts....good thing because as soon as I went long and deep, dinner was quickly becoming reality. Color fussy little dinks today though. Purple/chartreuse tailed 1.5" Thump-Its started things off. Then I went to the 2" Thumper Fry and banged a couple. I tried a 2 1/2" Fry but that was too large apparently and by the time I figured that out the bite seemed to have softened up. I wanted a couple more for the knife but plastic had just gone dead so I dug out the 1" Gulp minnows and from that point on it was game on.

I had to get my casts out to a deep break where 6 foot water fell off into about 12. I had to set the float at about 8 feet to get bit, but when that sucker sat up after the jig got to the end of free line it would bob in the waves about three times and simply disappear.

I got a variety of blacks today between 10 1/2" and 13". I sorted out five in the 11 inch range for dinner tonight. All told I maybe docked twenty fish. In spite of the previous day's weather and todays rising water and even after a cold front the fish were happy to make me happy, or so it seemed. A buddy and I are doing the boat tomorrow so maybe pictures then. I had the phone but left it in the van and was too lazy to climb the stairs to go get. You all know  what a black crappie looks like and no none had that fancy stripe. lol Today's fish appeared to be mostly males but a couple really chunk 13" fish looked to have spawn so they definitely went back. It was a really great morning to fish with the temperature right at 60 the whole while I was there.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Re: Early morning venture....
« Reply #1 on: 05/03/18 05:23 UTC »
Sounds like a great time Tom. We got 2” of rain tue night and some more last night and it’s still raining today. But like you the little spillway on the way to work is up and the smallies and white bass were ready to play. Fished for 45 min. and got a smallie and two whites.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 05/08/18 08:32 UTC »
I hit the lake again yesterday morning for a couple hours but it wasn't good by any means. I caught a pair of 26" northerns on 1.5" Thump-Its. After those got stung a little they evidently left the area and crappies started back in but after only a couple of them the bite stopped. Then the wind got up in a bad direction so I headed home a little earlier than I wanted but I have plenty of stuff to do at home for gardens and lawn.

Beautiful morning though. I had some super nice gold-crowned Kinglets working in shoreline trees. I was really surprised to see these still in the area. The males have a really neat crest on their heads. Yellow Rumped Warblers were working hard too. Both are super nervous little birds and getting a picture was nothing but imagination for this old fart.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/08/18 09:12 UTC »
Glade you got out Tom to bad the the wind shortend your fun. It so fun when your out all the cool stuff you can see.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 05/08/18 16:08 UTC »
Went before work 6 white bass 1 crappie and 1 pike