Author Topic: 1st Time Flounder Gigging  (Read 214 times)

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
1st Time Flounder Gigging
« on: 05/08/18 09:36 UTC »
Been wanting to do this for awhile now and finally decided to pull the trigger and make it happen.  Guy that took us said that locating these flatties had been slow for the previous 3 weeks and wasn't promising anything.  It was slow for about the first hour or so then we started to find them.  After a couple hours of gigging fun this was our bounty.  Definitely going to be doing this again, and sooner than later.   Ended up with 19 flounder (1 shy of a 4 man limit), 18 sheepshead and 3 black drum.

Find a spot on the South Shoreline

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: 1st Time Flounder Gigging
« Reply #1 on: 05/08/18 09:40 UTC »
How are the flounder at the table? Similar to halibut?

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 05/08/18 13:42 UTC »
How are the flounder at the table? Similar to halibut?

I have only had Halibut once and it was awhile ago, but Flounder are great.  Best thing going in the bay.  I take them over redfish and trout all day long and twice on Sunday.  I have been told these sheepshead are good so we will see.

But i will put it this way.  I give most of my fish away to friends and family because my wife wont eat it, but i always have people asking.  With trout some take and others pass.  Everyone wants redfish.  When i have flounder to pass out, its a "i'll be there in 5 min to pick it up"

I kept 4 flounder for myself after this trip.  12 fillets (can get 4 fillets from each flounder). And 1 sheepshead.  Rest of the fish was divide up between the other 3 guys. They will be eating good for awhile. 

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/08/18 15:06 UTC »
We have a store that flies in fresh fish every day and I'm going to pick up a flounder steak or fillets or whatever they have to try. Maybe 15 years ago a fella across the street came over after a trip to Alaska with his dad. The went after halibut and did exceptionally well. They had all of their fish dressed, packaged, flash frozen and shipped back home here. $$$$ The guy across the street came over and asked if we had any extra freezer space he could use in exchange for any halibut we wanted to eat. His wife wouldn't touch fish either. Carole and I sure enjoyed grill halibut about every week that summer.

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 05/08/18 16:27 UTC »
I would recommend it. It would say its probably similar but would also say that halibut are probably better. Usually deep water fish in the ocean are better than near shore fish.

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 05/09/18 06:15 UTC »
  I'm with Slow Burn. You get in the upper New England states they call it flounder and if down around NY and NJ they call is Fluke. It's all the same fish. Very good eating fish. I've never heard of gigging them. Not sure if that's a term or a way to fish or if you're using a actual gig ? My wife's family has a house on Long Beach Island and I see Fluke boat fishing all the time. But there they take a piece of squid with a heavy lead sinker and fish the bottom.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 05/09/18 10:28 UTC »
  I'm with Slow Burn. You get in the upper New England states they call it flounder and if down around NY and NJ they call is Fluke. It's all the same fish. Very good eating fish. I've never heard of gigging them. Not sure if that's a term or a way to fish or if you're using a actual gig ? My wife's family has a house on Long Beach Island and I see Fluke boat fishing all the time. But there they take a piece of squid with a heavy lead sinker and fish the bottom.

We actually gigged all of those fish like a frog.  Had about an 8ft poll with a heavy duty gig made for flounder and stabbed all those fish and flipped them into the boat. I will find a couple pics of the boat setup and such.  But basically the front of the boat has a big rail so you can lean over with your gig, lined with LED lights both above the water pointing down and underwater pointing out to spot the flounder.  We were after flounder, but its legal to gig Black Drum and Sheepshead in Texas so they got the treatment as well. Probably fishing in 6" to 2 ft of water.  Water has to be clear enough to see whats going on.  The boat also has a small fan motor, like a mini airboat fan on the back of the boat raised high so you can just putt along at the desired speed in shallow water.

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 05/09/18 12:40 UTC »
These are not the boat i was on but similar, found these on the net.  Same type of gig as well

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 05/10/18 06:10 UTC »
Wow that's cool thanks. I guess I didn't know flounder were found that far south. I always think of them as cold water fish.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Online Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 05/11/18 18:28 UTC »
Looks like an awesome trip, that is quite the haul of fish. Defiantly  not done in the part of Texas I am from. Thanks for sharing
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures