Soft Plastic Bait Making > Photo Gallery

This is why I make my own baits

(1/3) > >>

ctom:
Seen here on the left in this picture is a 1" Gulp minnow. Its a chartreuse shad color and its the one with the pearl colored opaque belly. These things work great at times. So do the larger, but not shown here, 2 1/2" cousins to it. The problem is that there is nothing in between, size-wise. This morning I had to make up a couple more batches of a similar bait I use in lieu of the Gulp minnows when the 1" isn't enough and the 2 1/2" number is too much.

These in-between minnows are 1 7/8" . They're done using a X2 chartreuse base color in four ounces of plastic with 2 drops of Bears Green chartreuse, and dab of blue hi lite and uv powders. The belly is a simple 4 ounces of clear plastic, 2 drops of white non-X2, uv powder and a healthy dose of partycrasher glitter. Both plastics are done simultaneously to 370 degrees and injected using a Do-It twin injector.

Some may ask why the clear belly. Well, I put these baits in a jar of, what else, Gulp juice. This is where they stay until I am ready to rig one up on a jig. The juice will make the belly opaque over time....just like the real McCoy. Do these baits accept the juice? I have no idea, but I can tell you straightaway that they work better than identical baits without the Gulp bath of the same color pattern when Gulp is what's getting the fish. And I don't have to sort thru bags and box compartments to find them. So ya'll know, I also make the same baits in this color for the box too as sometimes the fish just don't want Gulp. But by making my own I can have the best of both worlds.

WALLEYE WACKER:
Great baits Tom being able to have control of flake and colors and bait’s really gives use the upper hand over people that have pick from mass produced bait’s .

Shaunm81:
Yeah those are some really nice looking baits for sure.  That is what is so fun about this hobby the ability to put things together that your not going to find anywhere else.

ctom:
I did a few more molds full of the chartreuse minnows this morning then whipped up some nifty smoke with violet hi lites and having the same Partycrasher belly plastic.....sort of a smelt or shad color. This is a good color in the Gulp too but again if I want a mid-sized bait I have to cook'm up personally. I love it when someone asks what I'm using and then after seeing the bait they ask where the heck I got them. I love telling them I know the guy that makes them.

WALLEYE WACKER:
They really would have to look long and hard to find and if they did find a bait they wouldn’t spend the money or time to make them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version