Author Topic: This is why I make my own baits  (Read 1651 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
This is why I make my own baits
« on: 05/08/18 12:26 UTC »
Seen here on the left in this picture is a 1" Gulp minnow. Its a chartreuse shad color and its the one with the pearl colored opaque belly. These things work great at times. So do the larger, but not shown here, 2 1/2" cousins to it. The problem is that there is nothing in between, size-wise. This morning I had to make up a couple more batches of a similar bait I use in lieu of the Gulp minnows when the 1" isn't enough and the 2 1/2" number is too much.

These in-between minnows are 1 7/8" . They're done using a X2 chartreuse base color in four ounces of plastic with 2 drops of Bears Green chartreuse, and dab of blue hi lite and uv powders. The belly is a simple 4 ounces of clear plastic, 2 drops of white non-X2, uv powder and a healthy dose of partycrasher glitter. Both plastics are done simultaneously to 370 degrees and injected using a Do-It twin injector.

Some may ask why the clear belly. Well, I put these baits in a jar of, what else, Gulp juice. This is where they stay until I am ready to rig one up on a jig. The juice will make the belly opaque over time....just like the real McCoy. Do these baits accept the juice? I have no idea, but I can tell you straightaway that they work better than identical baits without the Gulp bath of the same color pattern when Gulp is what's getting the fish. And I don't have to sort thru bags and box compartments to find them. So ya'll know, I also make the same baits in this color for the box too as sometimes the fish just don't want Gulp. But by making my own I can have the best of both worlds.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: This is why I make my own baits
« Reply #1 on: 05/08/18 13:43 UTC »
Great baits Tom being able to have control of flake and colors and bait’s really gives use the upper hand over people that have pick from mass produced bait’s .
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 05/09/18 14:37 UTC »
Yeah those are some really nice looking baits for sure.  That is what is so fun about this hobby the ability to put things together that your not going to find anywhere else.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/09/18 14:44 UTC »
I did a few more molds full of the chartreuse minnows this morning then whipped up some nifty smoke with violet hi lites and having the same Partycrasher belly plastic.....sort of a smelt or shad color. This is a good color in the Gulp too but again if I want a mid-sized bait I have to cook'm up personally. I love it when someone asks what I'm using and then after seeing the bait they ask where the heck I got them. I love telling them I know the guy that makes them.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 05/09/18 18:17 UTC »
They really would have to look long and hard to find and if they did find a bait they wouldn’t spend the money or time to make them.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 05/10/18 08:01 UTC »
Here are a couple examples of the Smelt color I made up along with an original smelt colored Gulp 1" minnow.

The top bait's back color was intentional so I could make a few of what I refer to as "ghost" minnows. The back colors is just a super thin smoke made by adding a small chunk of black plastics to clear raw plastic and cooking, using the black to color the plastic ever so slightly. There's a pretty good bunch of violet hi lites in there too but of course the camera's auto filter blows that away.

The color for the middle bait's back is simply the same as the ghost minnow color but with more black scrap added to bring it more into a medium smoke realm and the smelt colored Gulp. Half of these smelt colored baits will go in the box and half into the jar of Gulp with the originals. And yes the belly color will cloud up into an off white much like the original bait shown at the bottom.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #6 on: 05/10/18 18:11 UTC »
Two of the most productive colors there Tom.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 05/10/18 20:07 UTC »
I sure like those ones in the top picture. Nice work as always
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 05/11/18 06:23 UTC »
  You know I bought several molds like this to make my own minnows when we go to Canada. I never have really figured out how much we spend per dozen up there but they fly them in and I bet it's close to a buck a piece. And we buy five dozen a day. I never thought about soaking them in Gulp. We have used Gulp minnows in the past and they do work but not cheap either. And when the minnow bucket gets low we start cutting them in half with just as much luck so it has nothing to do with the bait being live. I'll have to try your idea this year.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 05/11/18 08:21 UTC »
Lamar....

I'm not hard and fast "sold" on most bait scents, especially the oils that get cooked into the plastics we use. Baits that get scent applied to them or are in bags having scent added to them are more effective if they work at all. I use an anise oil in my plastics when I sell any but only because I think that customers are so engrained with the scent idea doing more than it actually does. Then enter a few baits that I think work....due to chemistry.

Berkley of Spirit Lake Iowa has done, what I consider, a superb job of chemically enhancing and tweaking things to make plastics perform better for the angler in their PowerBait and Gulp products. There are a couple other product lines that do well too, but Berkley has always been at the forefront of this business and I honestly feel that they research what they claim thoroughly before making claims. What I describe doing with my own baits in the Gulp juice is as much research as I have put into the matter, however I do pay attention to whether little trials like this do better, worse, or stay the same when it comes to use in my crappie plastics and I do feel that the plastics being soaked in the Gulp juice have an edge IF at the time Gulp is what the fish want. I do similar things with PowerBait and my plastics by placing my walleye plastics in freshly opened packages of PowerBait of similar colors then re-sealing and let set for a month at least and I have noticed similar positive results. PowerBait will not opaque a bait like Gulp will, but I haven't seen where the fish mind a clouded bait at all since the factory stuff is far from transparent.

Why the PowerBait and Gulp work in my opinion is because Berkley has been able to chemically replicate either feeding pheromones or fear pheromones given off by forage fish that prey fish can sense thru smell, taste or lateral line. In order for that to work with a fish the scent has to be water soluble because fish live in what? Both of these products will go to pot if the packaging is left open to air exposure, with the Gulp being the king-pin of misery should it dry out.....especially on a hook or jig. Granted, neither of these products will be a preferred bait by the fish all the time, but they certainly have proven themselves to me by working even when bait falls flat on its face. The Gulp juice can be purchased on a spray bottle for topical use while fishing. I buy a couple of these a year and use the juice to recharge my individual bottles. There's plenty of room in those tubs of Gulp minnow that walleye anglers would use to put in a pile of plastics in colors walleye like. I'd do it a month ahead of a planned trip and I'd save any juice left upon return or taken out to make room for more plastic. I'd bet you a donut that doing this will open your eyes a little.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 05/11/18 08:31 UTC »
I bet a 3" version would tear it up on a drop shot.