Author Topic: Big Hammer Hot Carl color?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline cpac97

• Minnow
Big Hammer Hot Carl color?
« on: 05/24/18 00:09 UTC »
So i need recipes for the Hot Carl swimbait from Big Hammer Baits. Can anyone help me out?https://www.google.com/search?q=BIG+HAMMER+SWIMBAITS+hotcarl&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS782US782&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiUoNb_yZ3bAhWPtlkKHVA0A8MQ_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=769#imgrc=zMOJM-kV2uJ3BM:

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Big Hammer Hot Carl color?
« Reply #1 on: 05/24/18 06:14 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-Itmolds forums.

The colors are probably the least of the issues. Red with a touch of black will get the belly color. Smoke with some silver flake will do the back. The center color looks like clear with a mix of very small glitter in a couple colors.... the colors I cannot determine since I cannot expand or enlarge the picture.

Your biggest issue is the way the bait is likely formatted in the mold. I appears to be a side/side, not the back/belly one would desire. How will you go about getting the red belly/tail color in the mold and then follow up with the clear/smoke split for the center and back unless the mold is single cavity has an end port for injecting or if multi cavity providing an end injection port for each cavity? I know that www.baitmold.com can make stone molds designed in this fashion but you'll have to work with the company on it.

Injecting the red and cutting it to fit the mold as it is shown in the color plates and then twin inject the other two colors is an option if you can figure out how to assure some venting since the terminal venting will be closed off after re-inserting the red piece and assuming the mold has a single cavity and injection port. What mold do you intend to use for this? Have you got a good picture of it that you can post that shows how the mold is formatted?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 05/24/18 09:14 UTC »
I have a mold from basstackle thats similar looking to the Hammer bait mentioned.  Its a side to side orientation but i make laminates in it, but it just takes patience.  Depending if the belly or backbone is down, shoot that color. Let cool, cut with sharp scissors and place back in the mold and move to the next color.  The key is to leave just enough room at the port to the cavity for the new plastic and inject slow.  If you go to fast it can cause the cooled plastic in the mold to move or float around.  Well, at least in my experience.

I agree with Tom on the colors. The clear looks like .008 red flake to me, but its kinda fuzzy on my machine.

Hope this helps.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 05/24/18 10:17 UTC »
Bass Tackle has three hand pours that are like what your looking for. Mold # 626 # 628 # 629
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN