Author Topic: Plastic for swimbaits  (Read 378 times)

Offline Nathan77

• Yearling
Plastic for swimbaits
« on: 05/27/18 23:17 UTC »
Okay guys, I'm thinking about changing plastic for swimbaits. I currently use the lure craft economy plastic that is cheap in price. I like the way it feels but it gets really hazy after it's poured a while and looks foggy when dipped. What plastic are you guys using for swimbaits? Is the Do-It plastic firm enough for it? Any tips or advice is appreciated!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Plastic for swimbaits
« Reply #1 on: 05/28/18 00:05 UTC »
I use the Essential series plastic available at Do-It and have had zero issues with it other than the usual cold weather stuff and that's no biggie to deal with. Right from the jug its great for any bait and actually has more elasticity than other plastics. Its tough but still great for small baits. For some time I softened it thinking it mattered for my crappie baits but gave up that ghost a long time ago.

The Essential is very heat tolerant and forgiving too. Buy a quart and try it.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 05/28/18 07:44 UTC »
I also use Essential plastic. As Tom mentions it is more "elastic" and " tougher" while still having great action.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Nathan77

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 05/28/18 07:48 UTC »
Are you guys using the hard or medium for swimbaits?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 05/28/18 08:15 UTC »
Essential comes in one formulation and its considered a medium. If there ever was a one-size-fits-all plastic, the Essential would have to be it in my opinion. Plus a person can always add hardener or softener if one so chooses. I have a gallon of hard formula plastic and when I feel the need to stiffen a bait up I mix the Essential and the hard three parts Essential, one hard and that generally is a pretty tough plastic. Its really hard to know what bait will favor one specific weight of plastic without actually making and using the baits made with different plastic. Hard plastic can get awful stiff for some applications and one never knows. For all practical purposes, we can assume that just about every mold designed and cut today is developed around medium plastic. Different strokes for different folks can lead to using a world of different plastic formulas since everyone is different and has different preferences for how the bait should work. The Essential plastic is about as good as it gets for what's considered to be a medium plastic though and the stuff is no less tough than some other firm or hard formula plastic and the Essential is way more elastic.

At one time I was adding a full quart of softener to a five gallon bucket of plastic but now I use the Essential straight out of the pail, adding nothing. When I need a very soft plastic, generally for very small bait molds with lots of small appendages and their cavities I just use straight Do-It Crystal Clear soft formula. This Crystal Clear plastic is slick but for the most part the Essential is a better plastic for people with having less chance of issues. The Crystal Clear is more temperature sensitive. I started out with Crystal Clear and learned the plastic and its little nuances well before the Essential came along. The Essential is a God-send in my opinion, but there's no way I am regretting having learned to use the Crystal Clear in both the soft and the medium.

Offline Nathan77

• Yearling
« Reply #5 on: 06/01/18 17:52 UTC »
Well I just got a gallon in of the essinatial series plastic and I realized just how much better my plastic from lure craft was! Wow this stuff scorches soooo easy and it's impossible to leave on hot plate and dip swimbaits without turning yellow. It does have less bubbles but can't hold up to pearl color baits. I need that plastic to be able to hold up for sometimes up to an half hour because the slow process of handpiuring and waiting till the next pour. I've been pouring plastic since 2009 and used several different brands but for $20 a gallon from Lurecraft I can't beat the quality by the price now I see.