Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 356 times)

Offline acwatkins

• Minnow
A few questions
« on: 06/04/18 19:56 UTC »
I just got done shooting a small batch of senkos and have a few questions.

1. Does anyone lubricate their injector? I noticed mine gets gummed up quickly and it makes the plunger a little sticky when sucking up liquid and injecting.

2. What would cause indents? Not air bubbles, or partial baits but just small indents in the side of the senko.

3. Should I always see steam or vapor coming out of the vent?

Thank you in advance!

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: 06/04/18 20:14 UTC »
1 I put worm oil on the o rings,2  hold pressure a little longer and top off mold 3 on some molds you can hear air escaping just before the mold as full. Welcome to the forum!!

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 06/04/18 20:22 UTC »
I don't have the senko molds, but some of my thicker worm molds will dent if shot too quickly. Shoot slowly and hold pressure after the injector stops. Steam escaping shows a good vent. Good luck!

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/05/18 12:58 UTC »
Dents are caused by "differential shrinkage" ..when the thicker, hot core of the bait cools slower than the skin and as the core cools (and contracts) it pulls from the weakest point in a mold.

You can see the same thing in a lot of plastic parts.

It can be minimized by texturing the mold (thus hiding the imperfection), injecting cooler, and holding pressure.

In hard plastic parts it is controlled in a lot of ways, none of which we are willing to pay for in a bait mold!

I inject Sinko type baits at the coolest temperature I can and still get enough flow to fill the entire mold. Heat your plastic to 350 F so that it completely changes state (or you will get cloudy, stinky, sticky baits) and let it cool to 320 F and see if that helps you. You need to use a good Digital Probe thermometer (like Do-it sells) which are designed to take the temperature of a liquid. It is also great for stirring the plastic to make sure you have all the plastic the same temperature. I also like to hold a slight pressure on the injector for a count of 20 which seems to help.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 06/05/18 17:49 UTC »
I agree with Andy.  Temperature is a villain when shooting thicker baits.  Letting the plastic cool down before I inject has solved 80 per cent of my senko woes
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline acwatkins

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 06/06/18 08:53 UTC »
Thank you all for your input! I’ll shoot some more this weekend at the cooler temp and see how that helps. I know for a fact I was shooting them hotter than I should. About half way through my pink turned to a almost milky light purple. I’m assuming that was from too much heat. I currently have been using an infrared temp gun to check the temperature, should I definitely switch to a probe?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 06/06/18 09:33 UTC »
Welcome aboard AC. And yes, chuck that infrared for the digital probe type. The one Do-It sells is a winner. I have three of them, one of which is in the kitchen. Couple thoughts when using the probe, keep the probe off the sides and or bottom of your cooking cup or vessel and measure the heat by slight stirring with the probe's tip in the middle of the mass of plastic in the cup....this is where the heat will be hottest and focuses there. If you're having issues with heat related color changing [burning], the center of the mass is where it starts and is why its important to stir that plastic into the remaining plastic to help in distributing the heat.

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 06/06/18 15:16 UTC »
What injector are you using? I threw my bass tackle one away as the plunger itself extended further than the injector chamber causing little pieces of dried plastic to get behind the plunger which caused it to screw up constintaly. Bought a Do-It and doesn’t do this.  Just needs a little worm oil here and there.