Author Topic: Everyone enjoying the heat?  (Read 231 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Everyone enjoying the heat?
« on: 06/28/18 18:44 UTC »
Supposed to have a heat index here tomorrow of 105. Fun, fun, fun! I'm hitting the rifle range early to avoid the heat and the bugs, then I'm putting up the mast on the garage roof for my weather station. Hope to be inside looking out by noon or there-abouts, but this thick air isn't so much fun. I tried some air brushing this afternoon in the garage shop and that wasn't the thing to be doing I guess. I think I'll have to relent to a good book until hell decides to move along. I here it's headed east which is a great direction right now.

Just think.....three months ago I was harping about too much snow and cold. lol

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Re: Everyone enjoying the heat?
« Reply #1 on: 06/28/18 19:35 UTC »
Hear that Tom going to be upper 90’s and heat index like you for a couple days and rain Sunday by me.

Offline basscatlildave

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 06/28/18 21:26 UTC »
Really hot down here but I like it that way. We’re mid 90’s with the heat index at 107.  :). If I worked in it I’m sure I’d feel different but my bones don’t ache in the heat.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/29/18 05:46 UTC »
I agree with basscatlildave. I'd rather sweat than freeze anytime. Winter seems like torture. I hate shoveling snow.

Online Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 06/29/18 10:11 UTC »
From a guy that deals with the type of heat you guys are currently getting pretty much from Mid June- Early Oct, all i can say is be careful and drink plenty of fluids. Being outside in that kind of heat is no joke.  That 95 plus heat zaps your energy and you sweat way more than you think and get dehydrated extremely quickly. If outdoors, have plenty of water, Gatorade type drinks on hand as well as sun screen.  It doesn't take much to bake. 
« Last Edit: 06/29/18 10:13 UTC by Slow Burn »
Find a spot on the South Shoreline

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/29/18 12:01 UTC »
I said to heck with the heat and went to the gun range this morning to play with a rifle I go late last fall and haven't taken time to shoot it until today. I went early to try and beat the heat, the bugs and the wind. I wasn't ahead of any of the three, but I had a good time. I drank a gallon of war in an hour out there. lol My shooting was done under a canopy so I wasn't in sunlight directly but still was lathered up in sunscreen.

Range time was rewarding. The 5 shot group in the center of the target circled in black marker was at 100 yards using a 200 grain, .40 caliber XTP bullet in the .45 caliber rifle with 100 grains of BH209 powder a black powder substitute powder. The target dot above it is a 5 shot group using the same everything except 110 grains of powder. The later will be the hunting load if it holds together in colder weather.

When I left my sweat band and shirt were both soaked. I stopped and got four bottles of poweraid for the road home. The drinks that replace electrolytes that you sweat out are beneficial to a point, but water is better than anything and COOL water rather than ice cold water is better for your system.

Offline billygee

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 06/29/18 19:28 UTC »
Wow !"
Brings back the day
that's all I ever used was my Thompson Center 45 Cal Hawken

Used Maxi Ball 220gr that I would mold and size
Made a barrel plug mold for getting the correct bullet sizer
That is what made this load so accurate up to 150yrs and still packed a punch
(may still have the spec's in a pet load log book)

billygee

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/29/18 21:15 UTC »
I have a closet full of black powder guns and I hunt all of them as a rule. I just fell into an un-fired single trigger T/C Renegade that's be out of production for years. Its a .54. Not sure now that I'll ever fire it. Love the ambiance of those side locks.

Online cc1

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 06/30/18 09:29 UTC »
I'm in the heat everyday down here.  Lately been bringing some of our kids at school to college camps to participate in passing tournaments.  Its been 110 plus heat index and when the wind blows its a hair dryer like feel.  That is in the grass areas, when we have to get on turf it gets higher than 125 and was 136 last week at 3:30 on that turf.  Pretty hot to be running around and chasing others, but those kids never complain.  Must be nice to have all that energy and stamina, oh to be a kid again.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 06/30/18 14:04 UTC »
oh to be a kid again.

No kidding.........lol.

Offline billygee

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 06/30/18 14:20 UTC »
I have a closet full of black powder guns and I hunt all of them as a rule. I just fell into an un-fired single trigger T/C Renegade that's be out of production for years. Its a .54. Not sure now that I'll ever fire it. Love the ambiance of those side locks.

Yep !
those side locks seem to have a that nostalgic affect
When Bow Season came around I would even use a Long Bow
Good Luck on your T/C Renegade find
54cal is good size chunk of lead

billy

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 06/30/18 16:25 UTC »
No this heat sucks!
I also spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening doing inventory at our Tulsa location and most of what I counted was out in the warehouse. Warehouse heat is worse than outdoor heat I’m pretty sure. I also spent Wednesday afternoon grilling hamburgers for the youth at our church and the kids from church another church who are going to camp with our youth in a couple of weeks. Standing over the gas grill in the heat for a couple hours was quite warm. for  sure drink lots of water I try to drink a gallon of water a day even in the winter.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 06/30/18 16:33 UTC »
Now off of a sudden it’s raining in sheets again. This rain reminds me of one of those rains they get in Florida everyday at 3:00 PM
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #13 on: 06/30/18 18:26 UTC »
Now off of a sudden it’s raining in sheets again. This rain reminds me of one of those rains they get in Florida everyday at 3:00 PM

My very first assignment was to Japan.  Three of us arrived together and during processing we were informed by the First Shirt that this was the monsoon season.  As it turns out none of us knew what a monsoon season was and we were 18 so we didn't bother to ask.  The next day we were in the Airmen's club having a beer and wondering out loud why all of the locals were carrying umbrellas.  Ninety degrees and not a cloud in the sky.  Drank 2 beers and walked outside into the hardest rain I have ever seen/  Day 3 found us all in the Base Exchange buying umbrellas.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 06/30/18 18:35 UTC »
We're experiencing a pseudo monsoon here as I type with a heavier rain, wind and possibly hail not too far in the future. Gotta love this Midwest living.