Author Topic: Swim baits  (Read 668 times)

Online basscatlildave

• Kicker
Swim baits
« on: 06/29/18 11:39 UTC »
I'm wanting to add a swim bait mold to my arsenal for bass and redfish around here.  Would you look at the Ripper in 3-1/2 or the 3-1/2 swim bait mold in the ES series?

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Swim baits
« Reply #1 on: 06/29/18 12:16 UTC »
Honestly, I'd add then both.

Offline Coastalwaters

• Yearling
« Reply #2 on: 06/30/18 21:20 UTC »
The 3.5" ripper is too large for your lower slot reds in my opinion.  The 3" would be my choice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Online cc1

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 07/01/18 11:55 UTC »
I have caught reds on 1.5 inch baits up to 5 inch swim baits.  They have been a range of sizes and would say 14 to 40 inch fish hit these baits regularly.  The ripper in 3.5 is in that range and will get nailed.  Small trout have even drilled 4 inch swim baits.  I am a swim bait junky, I have at least  10 swim bait varieties and every one of them have caught plenty of fish.  Do-it has two great selections here the ripper and the 3.5 triple tailed swim bait in the original tail.  The twin tail grub in the 3 inch is another great bait for reds and flounder.  3.5 carrot mold is another great bait under a cork.  I dont think feeding reds prefer a certain size anything they nail swim baits regardless of size.  I use a big curl tail grub as well about 6 inches swimming I would guess, and trout with reds demolish it too.

Online Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 07/02/18 12:33 UTC »
Im not sure what your slot size is for Reds in your area, but i have worn out rat reds (under slot) through over slot with the 3.5" ripper.  Our min is 20" and I have landed several 13-15" reds on them and even caught undersized trout (minimum is 15" in Texas) on them. If they are hungry they will hit it.  Hell, a few years ago i caught a 12.5" rat red on a full size 3 hook super spook and the little guy hit it light a freight train. I dont doubt for a min that all sizes of the ripper will work.
Find a spot on the South Shoreline

Offline Kyle

• Administrator
  • Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 07/03/18 11:41 UTC »
Any particular color patterns y'all like in the Ripper for reds?

Online cc1

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 07/03/18 14:35 UTC »
Anything with a chartruese tail, purple with blue flake, a pearl white, avocado redflake.  Laminates a houdini look, and chartruese ice, black silver, or a copper pearl.

Online basscatlildave

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 07/03/18 16:05 UTC »
I'm taking my Dad in Nov. to over to Louisiana. They love a black with chartreuse   tail over there. I thought it would be cool to make us some to take.

Online cc1

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 07/03/18 16:52 UTC »
it works well here in louisiana but not one of my favorites.  the 3 1/2 will be just fine.

Online Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 07/03/18 18:45 UTC »
Any particular color patterns y'all like in the Ripper for reds?

My go to colors are the following all with chartreuse tail:
Purple
Black
Pumpkin seed
Baby bass or CC green.

White with a pink tail.

Solid pink with large halo glitter
Find a spot on the South Shoreline