Author Topic: Dropshoting for walleye?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Dropshoting for walleye?
« on: 07/01/18 10:07 UTC »
Watching these guys on St. Claire and Oahe dropshoting smallmouth. Basically dragging a plastic bait on the bottom until they get a hit and wondering if something like this would work for walleye? Anyone tried this with plastics or caught walleye while dropshoting for bass?

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Dropshoting for walleye?
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/18 10:29 UTC »
Oh yes. In fact its a darned good technique on the big river right along with the Dubuque rig....a heavy jig/plastic in the dropper end of a three way with a smaller jig/plastic/bait on the leader off the eye at right angles to the line.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/01/18 10:30 UTC »
I frequently catch walleye on the drop shot both on the river and last week in Canada.

We were dragging a drop shot in 20' ft of water and caught lots of both species. I use 2 hooks, one about 12" off the bottom another at about 5 ft.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 07/01/18 11:23 UTC »
http://custombaits.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1927

This is what I usefaor walleyes. I call it power shot and the majority of the fish you get are on the top hook.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/01/18 15:21 UTC »
I frequently catch walleye on the drop shot both on the river and last week in Canada.

We were dragging a drop shot in 20' ft of water and caught lots of both species. I use 2 hooks, one about 12" off the bottom another at about 5 ft.

Not sure two baits tied to the same line is legal in Canada. Is it ?

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/01/18 17:43 UTC »
In Indiana we can use three. All the bass tournments use only one hook. I'm going to try it this fall on lakes outside the deep weed line.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 07/01/18 18:12 UTC »
  Not sure two baits tied to the same line is legal in Canada. Is it ?

In Ontario you can have 4 hooks per line. No more than 2 lens.

The number of hooks includes any single- pointed or multiple-pointed hooks that ... A fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached.
« Last Edit: 07/01/18 18:14 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 07/01/18 21:45 UTC »

Which height was more productive?... and what were the conditions?

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 07/01/18 22:51 UTC »
Generally it was sunny with clear water. The walleyes were caught mostly on the bottom bait (a CCGlider) and the top bait was the small Wutzit and took mostly smallmouth, but we caught mixed bag on both baits. We actually started with a drop shot worm on the upper bait but when the 2nd 4 lb smally in a row barfed up a big chub we switched!

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 07/02/18 05:13 UTC »
I can see where this would be better than dragging a jig. If you have rocks and wood you only loose the bottom lead weight and Do-it has a great mold. It can get expensive loosing jigs!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 07/02/18 07:54 UTC »
Generally it was sunny with clear water. The walleyes were caught mostly on the bottom bait (a CCGlider) and the top bait was the small Wutzit

Were you using the spin-shot hooks for the top hook? I prefer a 3-way to the spin shot so I can add a bit of line to the top jig/hook and let it float back away from the main line a little. I do way better with hook-ups on the top bait doing this.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 07/02/18 14:07 UTC »
I always use a spinshot on the top. Often for both hoks.

Offline aulrich

• Minnow
« Reply #12 on: 07/11/18 17:44 UTC »
Alberta you can have 3 hooks per line, IIRC so does Manitoba and Saskatchewan and yes Walleye, the odd pike , perch trout and others