Author Topic: Hard time shooting Newt  (Read 528 times)

Offline darkman

• Minnow
Hard time shooting Newt
« on: 07/12/18 06:20 UTC »
I got The Newt for free when I cashed in some of my points
When I got it, it would not close right, I had to loosen the screws on the hinges fir the mold to close right
( do it missed this one) now it closes fine.

It won't shoot compleatly, I have yet to get a compleat pour out of it, the Tail is never compleat
One of the flaps sometime fills, I've oiled the mold, my plastic is at 320 digital thermometer
Ant just won't fill in compleatly

I've emailed DO It but no response, very rare, I'm guessing folks are at ICAST
This is the worst mold I've ever had, do it is no help. Which is so rare, I don't want to get anything free
That's how I got this mold, back of my head I think they sent me a shitty free mold but I have never had a bad experience with any do it mold ever. So any help, if you have this mold, how do I get it to shoot right, thanks

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Hard time shooting Newt
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/18 06:49 UTC »
This is a long mold so I'll assume you're double clamping? If so, try leaving the clamp closest to the back of the bait somewhat less tight, don't bear down on that clamp. It may be a vent needs to be opened up a hair....use a straight edge and a utility knife with a sharp [new] blade in it and scratch a deeper vent channel in the existing vent that vents towards the hinge area or to the molds edges......working away from the cavity [Sorry I have to wing it here but the picture in the store doesn't show the vented side of the mold.]

I'd also try screwing the screw back down to what it was when you got the mold.....loosening the screw so the sides lay tight might be an issue too. One should assume the mold is coming injecting ready.

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/12/18 07:36 UTC »
 I would try to call Do-it during business hours if they don't respond to your email.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/12/18 07:38 UTC »
They're all in Orlando this weed.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/12/18 09:57 UTC »
I dropped a mold on its edge and had similar problems with it. I took the hinge off a just clamped the the mold with two clamps and it shot fine.

I brought the mold with me to s Do-it get-together and they gave me new hinges and I was surprised when the hinge was replaced the mold shot fine.

I would be curious to know if you take the hinge off how the mold shoots.

I have this mold (its s great bait on s Midwest Finese jig) and my notes are to shoot it hot, pre-warm the mold and shoot at 350. And to worm oil the mold ...especially the tail.section.

Sounds like a flow issue and I would guess the flappers are getting "choaked off" by plastic that has cooled before they fill. Hotter plastic and a little worn oil on the mold will help the flow.

« Last Edit: 07/12/18 10:07 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline darkman

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 07/19/18 03:12 UTC »
I emailed do it, they gave me good solutions but it didn't work, this mold us pure junk
I'm far from new at this, I've done everything possible on my end including doing what do it said
Heat up my plastic to 350-370 degrees, that was real hot, still nothing, still can't get the tail to come out
I sent Do it an email telling them this, I threw away that crap of a mold, it's junk and it belongs in the garbage, I don't want crap from do it, I'll eat it but I'm so mad and disappointed, this mold was trash from the very begining, thank you all for the help unfortunately, can't fix garbage

Offline SBuck88

• Kicker
    • Buck's Baits
« Reply #6 on: 07/19/18 14:16 UTC »
I emailed do it, they gave me good solutions but it didn't work, this mold us pure junk
I'm far from new at this, I've done everything possible on my end including doing what do it said
Heat up my plastic to 350-370 degrees, that was real hot, still nothing, still can't get the tail to come out
I sent Do it an email telling them this, I threw away that crap of a mold, it's junk and it belongs in the garbage, I don't want crap from do it, I'll eat it but I'm so mad and disappointed, this mold was trash from the very begining, thank you all for the help unfortunately, can't fix garbage
I'll take it if you don't want it.
`•.¸¸ ><((((º>.•´¯`•><((((º>
><((((º> •...><((((º>
•...><((((º>
http://facebook.com/Bucksbaits
Twitter & Instagram: @BucksBaits

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 07/19/18 15:56 UTC »
I don't get it. I have 3 of them...and other than trying to shoot them cold (I live in MN) I've never had an issue. Like I mentioned...put a little worm oil on the tail and it shoots fine but I see you tried that.

Do you see anything obviously wrong with the mold...like incomplete machining? As I mentioned, if the mold was dropped that could screw up the hinge, but if you remove it the mold should shoot fine. Does the mold close completely??? Could there be a burr or ?? keeping it from closing completely?

Can you post a pic of the mold and an incomplete pour? Something is causing the plastic to be get blocked...or if the plastic was not hot enough to set before it flows to the tail. A picture is worth 1000 words (or so they say)!

This mold has been out for a long time and I don't remember anyone else having issues.

And...it's a really good bait!!!!

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 07/19/18 16:29 UTC »
Who did you get your injector from and are you positive the rings are good in it? This could be an injector issue as much as it could be a mold problem. Pull the screw out of the top cap and lift it up to see if you have plastic in the pipe over the plunger. If there's any plastic up there that's you problem.

Offline Do-It Corp.

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 07/19/18 16:31 UTC »
We always stand behind everything we sell.  If the tips did not work for you, we will get you a new mold or get you your money back.  Call the office and ask for Kyle or Brennan and we will take care of you.  319-984-6055

Offline senkosam

• Yearling
« Reply #10 on: 08/13/18 08:54 UTC »
Nice to see Do-It stands behind their products! Good to know for future purchases.
« Last Edit: 08/13/18 08:58 UTC by senkosam »