Author Topic: the first jar....  (Read 268 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
the first jar....
« on: 07/18/18 19:51 UTC »
.... of spaghetti sauce is capped and sealed with a big ole bowl full in the fridge for Friday's pasta dinner.

The tomatoes are going to come all at one time this year. The beans are nuts right now. I froze 3 quarts this morning and set aside two more quarts for Carole and I to split with a daughter. The cukes are beginning to show up too as are the green peppers and jalapeno peppers. The Salsarific and Thai Dragon peppers are heavy on the bushes and just now starting to turn red on a few. My squash are all over the place and I can't even start to count the set fruits....and I probably don't want to know how many.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Re: the first jar....
« Reply #1 on: 07/18/18 22:26 UTC »
Tasty there Tom

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/19/18 07:42 UTC »
My garden is about on the same pace as yours Tom. Love growing stuff; can never have to much. I give a lot of stuff away at church. Everyone wondering when I'm going to bring in a box of tomatoes etc. By the way, how do you use those Thai Dragon peppers? Hot sauce? Way to hot for me!!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/19/18 08:42 UTC »
 I make a chili seasoning so I dry some of the peppers then grind them to powder for use in that. I'll add some green chopped to salsa if I want more heat than a jalapeno is giving [haven't tried a jalapeno yet so I don't know how hot they are this season]. The rest I'll add chopped when red along with the other hot variety to some white vinegar and cook into a hot sauce similar to tabasco.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/19/18 12:24 UTC »
You should get your hands on some Jamaican scotch bonnet peppers.  They're hot, really hot actually, but have a great flavor to them.  They have a bit of sweetness, floral and fruit notes underneath all that heat.  I like to use them in place of habanero which a lot of the time just taste hot to me.  Have you ever tried making a fermented hot sauce?  That is on my to do list for some point in the future, just another one of those tasks I haven't gotten around to with work and graduate school taking up all my time.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/19/18 15:00 UTC »
I'm basically happy with the heat levels from the two hot peppers I have right now. I like the hot but as I get older my body is telling me it does NOT like the heat. So......

Never done a fermented hot sauce and at this stage will likely pass on it, but keep us in the loop on this. Sounds like a challenge, but a fun one.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 07/19/18 15:31 UTC »
I do raise some cayenne peppers which I pull up in the fall, dry and grind up to put in chili.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 07/19/18 22:21 UTC »
That does look good. Some sketti and garlic bread sounds good now.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures