General > General Discussion

Gonna do it.....

(1/4) > >>

ctom:
Ma has been after me to build a shop in the garage where I can have heat in the winter and stay cool in the summer. So today we hit the lumber company for all the framing materials. This should keep me busy for a couple days. When I finish framing the electrical, insulation and venting will get done. I plan to hang plywood on the outside of the two walls in the garage proper just for durability, then the interior of the room will get sheetrock. Instead of framing the floor I am going to set the door an inch and a half high so I can lay a full 1" rubber floor on the inside of the room. I may need to wait a year to do the floor....spendy. But very comfortable. One wall is going to be closet the full 13 feet. My hunting and fishing clothes will go in half of that with room for hats and other sundry stuff and the other half will be done in shelves for molds and plastic making stuff. My current work bench will need to be split leaving the largest portion inside the new room.

I'm ordering a ventilation hood/fan that will get ducted right up thru the ceiling and between two rafters and exit thru a roof vent. Instead of going thru the hassles of using natural gas for a heater I am going with a lp tank and most likely a ceiling furnace. I may go with a wall mounted high efficiency furnace if I can find one for the right money. The ceiling mounts are everywhere pretty reasonable, but the wall mounted units are way less work to install and vent. I intend to keep a minimal amount of heat in the room when not in use while its cold outside.

So I'm getting excited about starting in on this project. Got a mess to move and shuffle around to get this started but this segment of the operation should move right along.

WALLEYE WACKER:
That we’ll be a game changer for you. A nice cozy comfortable spot to crank out your masterpiece’s. I have no idea how you schedule your time to get all you do done.

Muskygary:
Keep us in touch as to how it goes. I've got a yard barn I need to finish. I insulated it, but never put heat into it. Not sure how big or what type heater I need.

bassinfool:
My parent's just bought a new house on the lake to live at full time and it has a lot of wood work to be done around the property.  Went to the lumber yard to start pricing things out and "Wow!" is all I could say about how high the lumber prices are right now.  We built an entire boat house and new dock about 5 years ago and if we were to do so again that same amount of lumber would cost us nearly $14,000 more.  Look forward to seeing what you work up, Tom.  Like all things, I am sure it will be something to behold.

basscatlildave:
Congrats. Keep us posted and pics of your set up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version