Author Topic: UV glow demonstration  (Read 152 times)

Online SteveJ

• Yearling
UV glow demonstration
« on: 07/27/18 08:59 UTC »
Is there a 'lite box' I might use to demonstrate what the bait looks like when it is below the natural light.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: UV glow demonstration
« Reply #1 on: 07/27/18 13:03 UTC »
Just put it under a black light.

Online SteveJ

• Yearling
« Reply #2 on: 07/27/18 14:16 UTC »
Just put it under a black light.
Simple enough. Thank you Tom!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/27/18 15:44 UTC »
Just beware that the black light is only a simulation and not what you'll see in living color with your eyes. Uv enhancement does cause a color or bait to literally glow simply because the wavelengths of light it works with is invisible pretty much to the human eye, the black light just excites the agents in the glow so you can see it at work. Fish, at least many fishes, have eyes that are receptive of the uv light which we cannot see and in ocean have been proven to notice uv light at depths to 900 feet.

You can over-add the enhancing powder or liquid [spike-it] to your plastic which will give it a bluish-purplish haze in and out of the water and is sort of what the fish would be seeing. In 4 ounces of plastic I use only a tiny ball of the powder, maybe a hair smaller than a BB and I know that just this little bit influences the bite for walleyes and crappies. I use the enhancer in every batch of plastic I make. I double the dose when I am making tubes and swim baits for use in Lake Superior and all of my Lake Superior painted hard baits and blades get a coat of the UV blast spray because the trout and salmons there are very keen on uv.