Author Topic: Favorite Hooks For Spinnerbaits  (Read 230 times)

Offline Porkrind

• Minnow
Favorite Hooks For Spinnerbaits
« on: 07/27/18 11:10 UTC »
What are y’alls favorite hooks to make spinnerbaits out of? I know there are some great options but I need some pros and cons of each so I can feel like I’m  making the best decision for me. Thanks all!

Offline Skimpy253

• Kicker
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
Re: Favorite Hooks For Spinnerbaits
« Reply #2 on: 07/28/18 11:52 UTC »
I'm with Skimpy!!!! I've been using the VMC 7250 black nickel spinnerbait hooks for a long time now and I have tried them all. That hook has the 2X long shank and a needle point that penetrates with ease even when using the 5/0 size. I'll post a list with it going from the best to the worst and the pros and cons.                                 

1. VMC 7250BLN - Pros: 2X long shank, black nickel, good point.    Cons: Hook point will dull faster than other needle point hooks.

2. Mustad 32608 - Pros: 2X long shank, available in black nickel, very strong point.  Cons: Hook point not as sharp as other needle point hooks.

3. Eagle Claw L255 - Pros: 2X long shank, strong and sharp needle point. Cons: Not available in black nickel

4. Owner 5320 - Pros: Long shank, super strong and super sharp cutting point.  Cons: Price, cutting point will fold over if it hits hard cover, no black nickel.

5. Gamakatsu 550 - Pros: Very sharp cutting point.  Cons: Point folds over very easy, no black nickel and no long shank version.

Offline Porkrind

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 07/29/18 19:14 UTC »
Thanks guys that was easy!

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/30/18 05:12 UTC »
  I use the VMC also. I use to use a different brand but these guys got me on the VMC and I like them. I make a lot of 3/4 oz with the 5/0 hook for pike fishing. I just squish down the barb so they're easy to release. Most of the time that hook goes all the way through the lip. Great hook.