Author Topic: Florida grape  (Read 1393 times)

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
Florida grape
« on: 08/15/18 18:03 UTC »
 Can anyone tell me if the X2  Florida grape  is close to black grape?  Are they basically the same color ?

Offline DF

• Lunker
Re: Florida grape
« Reply #1 on: 08/16/18 09:08 UTC »
 I have not used black grape so I can not say for sure but I can say florida grape is an awesome color that I use a lot. It is a dark purple with a blue hue to it. The only thing I don't like about it is you can over cook it and it takes on a rusty color to the surface of the bait.
 Not the best example but here are some baits I made using florida grape.

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 08/16/18 09:14 UTC »
I have not used black grape so I can not say for sure but I can say florida grape is an awesome color that I use a lot. It is a dark purple with a blue hue to it. The only thing I don't like about it is you can over cook it and it takes on a rusty color to the surface of the bait.
 Not the best example but here are some baits I made using florida grape.

Thanks DF. That looks pretty much spot on to Zooms Black Grape. Very nice color.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 08/16/18 15:16 UTC »
Florida Grape is a very strong color too. I use it often to adjust colors in the purple to blue range.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 08/16/18 17:00 UTC »
DF those are some beautiful looking baits
« Last Edit: 08/16/18 22:53 UTC by Shaunm81 »

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/16/18 18:31 UTC »
Florida Grape is a very strong color too. I use it often to adjust colors in the purple to blue range.
So if I want to go from purple to black grape, how would I get there? I’m thinking add a little black and maybe a little red. Maybe a little blue highlight.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/16/18 19:21 UTC »
Personally I'd get a sample bait to have right there at the shooting table with me for direct comparison. Next I'd do a 4 ounce batch and be certain to count drops of Florida Grape until it got dense enough to add some black using a toothpick dipped shallow in the colorant and  stir it in. You could also start with a smoke made from black and plain plastic. Then add drops of the Florida Grape to get it to where you're ok with it.

On these heavy colors don't add any hi lite or glitter or pearl until you get the color right. Don't add anything to make weight either. Lay the sample bait and what you've cooked up on the back of an aluminum mold and get this under some light or sunlight to check for closeness of color.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #7 on: 08/16/18 20:07 UTC »
Awesome color DF
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 08/16/18 21:32 UTC »
Personally I'd get a sample bait to have right there at the shooting table with me for direct comparison. Next I'd do a 4 ounce batch and be certain to count drops of Florida Grape until it got dense enough to add some black using a toothpick dipped shallow in the colorant and  stir it in. You could also start with a smoke made from black and plain plastic. Then add drops of the Florida Grape to get it to where you're ok with it.

On these heavy colors don't add any hi lite or glitter or pearl until you get the color right. Don't add anything to make weight either. Lay the sample bait and what you've cooked up on the back of an aluminum mold and get this under some light or sunlight to check for closeness of color.
Thanks Tom

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 08/17/18 05:37 UTC »
So if I want to go from purple to black grape, how would I get there? I’m thinking add a little black and maybe a little red. Maybe a little blue highlight.
Before I had florida grape colorant I used X2 purple + X2 midnight blue

Offline interceptorbaitco

• Minnow
« Reply #10 on: 08/18/18 22:38 UTC »
Florida Grape with emerald green glitter will get you a good match for Zoom's Junebug.