Author Topic: Tired of my old Lee pot.  (Read 4561 times)

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
Tired of my old Lee pot.
« on: 08/17/18 03:09 UTC »
Gentlemen.
I have one of the bottom pour Lee melting pots and lately she have really bee acting up on me..
There is wery litle dripping but a lot of flowing so i am going to give her one last chance before the retirement plan kicks in.
Going to clean everything this weekend and se if that helps..
Now, have anyone of you fine gentlemen any experience with the RCBS pro melt (the new version)?
It is abouth four times the price of an new Lee melter so i was hoping for some pro and cons on this one.
After what i understand so was the modell before this one state of the art but is this one as good?
Really looking forward to hear your opinions.
Magne from the outskirts og Europe

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Tired of my old Lee pot.
« Reply #1 on: 08/17/18 04:44 UTC »
I have a older 20 lbs. lee pot that the lead was coming out between the spout and outer case and I emptied it out and took it all apart and the bottom of the pot were the spout attaches was bent so I took the spout out a straightend the pot out and put the spout back in and that fixed the problem for a little while. The dripping and flowing is I think the rod is wore and no matter were you adjust it it still drips so I’m going to buy a newer 10 pound. There are some people he that have the RCBS PRO but I don’t so I’m no help on that.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 08/17/18 05:59 UTC »
  I bought a new Lee pot maybe ten years ago. The first one lasted me 30 years. I figure if every 30 years or so I need to buy a new pot then I'm good with that.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 08/17/18 06:54 UTC »
I  know people who own the RCBS units and they are nice but unless you are going to be casting thousands of jigs the LEE is still the best option. I have the LEE units for my personal use, one bottom pour and a couple 20 pound pot-types for using a ladle and dipping.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Walking Dead

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 08/17/18 12:56 UTC »
I own Lee pots and the new Pro Melt. 

You will pay a little more for the Pro Melt but you will not be dissatisfied even if you pour just a few pounds of lead a month or a year for that matter.

You can continue to put up with the drip or not.

If you can, drive the higher end, do so. Use the Lee to clean/flux your lead.

You will never go back and your headaches and frustration will go away.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/18/18 07:00 UTC »
Just an FYI for the Lee pots. Replacement parts are free from Lee. You just have to pay shipping. Order a new plunger and pot liner and it will be like a new pot. I believe last time I did this shipping was maybe $14

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/18/18 20:31 UTC »
Thanks Mike J, I didn't know that about Lee pots. A friend of mine picked up a used Lee production pot, and he says it barely trickles lead when trying to pour. What parts will he need?
« Last Edit: 08/18/18 21:11 UTC by Lines »

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 08/18/18 20:46 UTC »
Just an FYI for the Lee pots. Replacement parts are free from Lee. You just have to pay shipping. Order a new plunger and pot liner and it will be like a new pot. I believe last time I did this shipping was maybe $14

I have done this as well.  My first pot always leaked a bit.  Ever since I bought the replacement plunger and liner, no more leaks.  I do cast a lot of lead (business) and I was thrilled when I did the above.  Lurecraft also sells the Lee replacement parts. 

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 08/19/18 08:46 UTC »
Thanks Mike J, I didn't know that about Lee pots. A friend of mine picked up a used Lee production pot, and he says it barely trickles lead when trying to pour. What parts will he need?

He may only need to empty it and clean the parts/nozzle. If he needs to repair, the parts mentioned should do the trick.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 08/19/18 09:17 UTC »
He said he was going to take it apart this weekend. Guess we'll find out if that works. Thanks!

Offline MADA

• Keeper
« Reply #10 on: 08/20/18 01:57 UTC »
Gentlemen.
Thanks for the replies.
I did take it apart and did an serious clean out.
This time i did it with my woodcarvig tools and heated up the noozle to get everything clean.
Sorry to say that it now works good again so no escouse to by something new in that department....
One or two drips i can live with, but not the flowing.
I think my talking abouth the retirement also helped..
This was the first really good clean out in 20 years so i guess it was overdue.

Offline MADA

• Keeper
« Reply #11 on: 01/09/19 03:37 UTC »
Did some mod on this old Lee pot.
It seemed that the "bowl" was slipping and therefore made more room at the seating for the plunger.
Put an bolt underneat it so it will not be able to sagg down.
I have now poured over 1000 jigs after this mod and the dripping is very close nothing.
I also have spring loaded the lever.