Author Topic: Balsa Cranks Sealed W/ CS Seal Coat Question  (Read 337 times)

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
Balsa Cranks Sealed W/ CS Seal Coat Question
« on: 08/30/18 11:42 UTC »
I’ve read a lot about people using the seal coat and doing the dip and drip technique. That all sounds great for hard plastic crankbaits but how does/will it hold up as a coating on balsa crankbaits that have been hardened with wood hardener?

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Balsa Cranks Sealed W/ CS Seal Coat Question
« Reply #1 on: 08/30/18 13:01 UTC »
CS sealcoat works well on most everything. If the hardened wood is ultra-glossy I guess I’d dull it with some steel wool.

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 08/30/18 13:07 UTC »
Right now the surface is pretty rough as I need to do the finish sand and paint them first. I was just looking for an alternative to two part epoxy. I’m trying to decide between the CS Seal Coat or KBS Diamond Clear Coat.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 08/30/18 13:36 UTC »
The KBS is a whole lot spendier unless you plan to coat LOTS of baits. The seal coat has no odor to fret over which is nice. I use seal coat on all of my Lake Superior lures so I see first hand how tough it is.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 08/30/18 18:39 UTC »
Stick with CS Seal Coat. KBS is a royal pain in the *&^%  !

I have been really happy with the crankbaits (and jigs) I have used CS Seal Coat on.

The expensive jar of KBS cured between uses (I thought I sealed it correctly!).

I buy the big jar of Seal Coat so I can dip and drip and after I seal the lid back on I put a plastic bag over it with a big rubber band. Still using it 9 months later!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/30/18 19:36 UTC »
No secret I LOVE CS!!!!!!!! But on Wood I use concrete sealer and weigh it so it sinks and let it soak for a day or so so it penetrates deep then let drip dry. I lightly rough it paint and then CS coat it

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
« Reply #6 on: 08/31/18 00:27 UTC »
No secret I LOVE CS!!!!!!!! But on Wood I use concrete sealer and weigh it so it sinks and let it soak for a day or so so it penetrates deep then let drip dry. I lightly rough it paint and then CS coat it
Does the concrete sealer add a density to wood and weigh it down so that the buoyancy and ability to rapidly float up is changed? Just curious as I may try it. Currently I don’t have any issues with the wood hardener as I put it under a vacuum to impregnate the wood.

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 08/31/18 23:19 UTC »
I haven’t noticed a big difference. I but I haven’t tested a treated blank from a non treated

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
« Reply #8 on: 09/01/18 22:54 UTC »
Thanks for all the replies guys.