Author Topic: Grey Doves  (Read 1279 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Grey Doves
« on: 09/04/18 19:38 UTC »
Here's an Oyster mushroom totem that I un-wrapped on last Thursday and  already we have a meal sitting there. I've got two others just like this stack that are in an area too wet to get to right now and both of those were really looking super-well inoculated so we'll be rolling in good eats this fall. Yesterday the ones you see on the logs were about 3/4" long with tight little cap buds about the size of a pea. Can't wait to see what they look like tomorrow.

I've got four new logs inoculated in addition to all the other stuff already growing: two Shitaki strain and two in another strain of Oyster which is also budding. The solid logs are a bit slower but they are showing a ton of buds right now. The Shitakis will likely turn on next spring as it takes almost a year for the spawn to mature enough to produce mushrooms. Until then. I'm confident that I'll have a load of the Greys to chew on.

With all the wet right now I think I should take a walk in the woods and hunt for some Hen-of-the-woods mushies to add to these greys.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Grey Doves
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/18 19:57 UTC »
Tom Did you put spores on the birch and cover or how did you do it. They would be awesome over the Tomahawk.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 09/04/18 20:48 UTC »
Those are Poplar logs Mike. Yup. I buy the spawn in sawdust and pack it between the two logs and under the bottom log and on top of the top log. The bottom log is sitting inside a 45 gallon black trash bag which gets pulled up over the top log and twisted shut and zip tied. The logs are soaked for two days prior to the bagging process. These "totems" undisturbed in the bags for 4 months, then opened and the fruiting starts not long afterward. Next spring I'll soak the logs again and re-stack them and we'll have fresh mushrooms again that summer and fall. I might get a third season out of the logs.

The Shitaki and other Oyster in the narrow 4 foot logs are done using peg spawn...dowels that are inoculated with active spawn and pounded into holes drilled every four inches up and down and all around the logs. These four are all oak and will last for maybe six to 8 years. There's a million ways to grow your own mushrooms and just as many mediums for growing them....logs, sawdust, wood chips, toilet paper rolls, hay and straw bales. There are a ton of various strains of mushrooms too so a person can be pretty flexible. Get the spawn put where it needs to be and cover as recommended and walk away for the time suggested, then keep whatever wet. You'll be eating like royalty.

Farmer's markets locally sell these greys for about $6.00/pound. Shitakis can get upwards of $18.00/pound. You can get peg spawn for Shitakis to do 30 4 foot oak logs for about 25 bucks. Those 30 logs will yield a ton of mushrooms for the next 5, 6, maybe 8 years. I have some junk oak logs that I thought were worn out stacked where it'll get burned in the fire pit and every time it rains good, like what we're seeing here now, and I will find six or eight late bloomers to pick. Plus its a fun hobby.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 09/05/18 03:29 UTC »
A very tasty hobby at that dosent cost a arm and a leg to do thanks for all the information Tom.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN