Author Topic: Bladed jig  (Read 1772 times)

Offline jones02

• Yearling
Bladed jig
« on: 09/18/18 18:33 UTC »
I’m having problems with using the poison swingtail mold. I’ve made dozens of bladed jigs wth this mold and there all breaking! I’m just fed up and need a new mold.

Is there a flat eye jig mold out there so I don’t have to modify? I can’t seem to find one

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
Re: Bladed jig
« Reply #1 on: 09/19/18 01:05 UTC »
What part is actually breaking if you don’t mind? I’m assuming the hook eye but don’t know for sure. I know quite a few people have had luck soldering them back closed then filing it down. I’m actually very good at brazing and have thought numerous times about giving that a shot as it for sure would hold up.

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 09/19/18 03:39 UTC »
You might try using a spinnerbait hook and a figure 8 connector link.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 09/19/18 09:42 UTC »
Cut hook with dremel then soldering it closed. If you use the method from that guy skimpy and use a punch to to open the hook and pinch it closed you might have some hooks that are too hard and are brittle. Try either method and see if it helps.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 09/20/18 10:45 UTC »
Try using the Trokar Pro Swim Jig mold, it uses a heavy wire flat eye hook. You also don't need to use the Trokar hook, I use the Eagle Claw 2706BP but you can also use the Mustad 32796 or the Gamakatsu 594. Then you just need to use a split ring, and for the record, I've made bladed jigs with the blade directly attached and with the split ring and I prefer the split ring, a lot more erratic action which gives me more confidence in drawing strikes but not everyone feels the same.