Author Topic: Northland Tackle Impulse Paddletail Plastisol Formula?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Jake Hendrickson

• Minnow
Looking to see if anyone knows the formula or brand of plastisol that Northland Tackle uses on their impulse paddletails?  I really like the feel and durability of those baits, and would be fun to try and replicate that if possible.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Northland Tackle Impulse Paddletail Plastisol Formula?
« Reply #1 on: 10/15/18 07:42 UTC »
You and perhaps a million others who do their own bait injections. I'd going to step right out and suggest that most every commercial soft bait company either has a plastic formula that they will not or the plastics are done in China where you'll certainly not find help. Like most here, I use the Essential because of its forgiving nature while cooking and injecting as well as its elastic quality. With baits that I want just a bit more action from the tails I simply soften the plastic by about 8%. I get the plastic in bulk and have several 1 quart containers that I fill for convenience while working and I have as many containers of straightEessential as I do softened.

Offline Jake Hendrickson

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 10/15/18 08:19 UTC »
that is what i figured haha had to try though. 

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/15/18 09:02 UTC »
Jake....if you're looking at the 3" minnow with the paddletail you might try adding a touch of softener to Essential. Use an eye dropper and try 30 drops per 4 ounces of plastic. This should loosen the plastic up and let that tail wag nice on a normal retrieve.

All of the commercial companies that make, or offer, soft plastics think they have the world with a fence around it when it comes to their own products and what goes into them. Considering the thousands of one color of one bait in one size that they have to work with using complex injection machines, first and foremost is settling on a plastic that offers the best working and handling characteristics at the factory level, not at the fishing or user level. This is where the home brewer can trump anything the commercial makers offer not only in feel and action, but color as well while maintaining durability in the plastic. About the only thing I look at in commercial tackle anymore is new colors. And I don't have to buy a product to play with colors.  ;)

Offline Jake Hendrickson

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 10/15/18 09:32 UTC »
tom,
yup thats what ive been doing.  I need to do a better job of documenting my trials so i can be more consistent in the softness of my baits. 

tom do you ever shoot your tail sections with a little hardener in it, cut those off and then shoot the body with some softener in it, giving your tail a little more rigidity?

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 10/15/18 10:18 UTC »
Jake some time the design of the bait changes the way that plastics durability. I use essential plastic and there are some bait’s I make that seem that way to me.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 10/15/18 12:44 UTC »
I don't Jake. I fished baits with hard tails and don't see any better catch rates and in some instances have actually seen a decline. I have made plastic so soft its almost tacky and shot baits for those tails but again it was all for naught in my opinion.