Author Topic: Bat Jig Question  (Read 280 times)

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
Bat Jig Question
« on: 10/23/18 10:26 UTC »
What is the consensus on the bat jig? I love the idea of a smaller version of the freestyle jig but with the bat jig mold already available I can’t see why a smaller version of the freestyle jig would be necessary after looking intolerable it more. Could I be wrong?

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
Re: Bat Jig Question
« Reply #1 on: 10/23/18 11:15 UTC »
Different jig altogether. The bat jig is very compact and uses a size #6 hook. If the eye isn't important then the round head with wire keeper would work better than the Bat jig depending on your needs. The Bat jig isn't a round head, it has a conical shape to it and it uses a 35 degree hook, that difference is a big one as it dictates how you are presenting a lure or bait. As I said, it depends on what you need the jig to do but in my opinion the Bat jig isn't a substitute for a ball jig at all and you can use the round head jig with wire keeper if the large eye isn't important to you.

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/23/18 12:03 UTC »
I’ve looked for this freestyle jig and can’t find anything in the store. How about a link so we can see it? TIA....

Online Kyle

• Administrator
  • Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 10/23/18 12:07 UTC »
Great question. I have to agree with smalljaw.  A round head vs the Bat Jig are two completely different beasts.  The round head covers a broader spectrum of applications and in most cases would get the call before the Bat Jig.  We have several different roundhead molds with different hook options and styles with that in mind. The Bat Jig is more technique specific due to it's hook style, eye location, overall shape, and as smalljaw mentioned this all plays into how the bait is presented. The Bat Jig was specifically designed with the idea of being able to fish in and around cover/brush. Take a round head jig vs a bat jig and dip them vertically or swim or pull them through a brush pile with crappies in it and your odds of getting caught or snagged in the brush are much greater with the round head jig vs a bat jig.  The bat jig's wacky style hook and short shank eliminate most hang ups without sacrificing hook up ratio.  If I'm casting jigs / long-lining / or slow trolling more often than not some version of the round head is going to get the call. 

The new Freestyle jig would fall more in line with the roundhead family but with a larger recessed eye.  A cross between an aspirin/round head and super versatile for a variety of applications.  It's a great finesse head in clean water.  I do foresee a smaller version of the Freestyle in the future.

We should have the Freestyle live on the store site near the end of the week.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
« Reply #5 on: 10/23/18 12:57 UTC »
Well thanks guys that all makes really good sense.

Offline TommySkarlis

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 10/23/18 13:41 UTC »
The Bat Jig works extremely well in brush - snagging far less than traditional Long Shanked or small hooked jigs. If I encounter short striking crappie - I'll switch to a bat jig with a smaller bodied bait (2" or less) and I will encounter more hook-ups!!!
Take somebody fishing soon!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 10/23/18 14:35 UTC »
I modded my Bat Jig mold to eliminate the short collar and added a wire keeper. I have a buddy who uses this mold way more than I do and I make quite a few of these heads. Like Tommy Skarlis has added, the head is a super brush head, especially if the wire keeper is omitted and the plastic is nose clipped then the body pulled up and pegged on the hook point, ala slider style. A Wacky head gets the same thing done in a round head if that's a preference. I modded a 1/32 collarless ballhead mold to take the smaller #6 wacky hook.

Both the Bat and Round heads on the wacky hooks make super swimming heads.

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
« Reply #8 on: 10/23/18 17:13 UTC »
Wow, I had no idea this head was such a specialty head. But I guess it makes me like it even more now because there are some places I fish that have tons of hang ups in the brush. Do-it has so many awesome crappie jig head molds. I could see that freestyle head working awesome for as a Swimbait head which I love fishing.