Author Topic: My New England & NYC trip  (Read 202 times)

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
My New England & NYC trip
« on: 11/07/18 19:25 UTC »
No fishing pictures here but maybe you guys will enjoy nonetheless. My cousin that I claim as my little sister who is stationed in Connecticut flew me out for a week of sight seeing in the Northeast. I got to cross off 7 states I had never been to before. Went as far as Portland, Maine. Had some good lobster there, Portland is a beautiful city it was cold & windy while I was there. Went to Boston where I had wanted to go for years. I had some incredible Italian food in the North End. Pretty good Pizza in Boston too. Went to Fenway Park and took the tour. Best $20 I ever spent for that. NYC was okay it’s definitely different and I think others should go just once to see it but it wasn’t everything to me I think it gets made out to be. It was bad either. The 9/11 memorial was something I’m glad I got to experience. It’s surreal to be there and think back on that day. The Staten Island Ferry was great I enjoyed that. New Yorkers do get a bad rap everyone there I encountered was friendly with the exception of the 2 guy who were trying to hustle me their CD across the street from Radio City Music Hall. I think they liked me less than I liked them though.  Grand Central station was amazing. Over all I am very blessed to have been able to have gotten the opportunity to take this trip

Badger Island, Maine

View from my restaurant table in Vermont looking over the river into New Hampshire.

Paul Rever’s house in Boston

Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Re: My New England & NYC trip
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/18 20:13 UTC »
Awesome trip PTL Did you get your fill of fresh sea food.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/07/18 20:21 UTC »
Awesome trip PTL Did you get your fill of fresh sea food.

In Maine I did. This was a budget friendly trip so I didn’t eat a lot of seafood. I had some great chowder in Boston. I ate a lot of pizza when I was out and about A: it’s cheap B: I love pizza. The pizza in Massachusetts & Connecticut was better than the pizza I had at both places in NYC. New York pizza was a little disappointing. I had Venezuelan food for the first time in CT that was pretty good. I also did a fair amount of cooking while I was at my cousins for her. She enjoys my Tex-Mex.

Offline basscatlildave

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 11/08/18 06:26 UTC »
Looked like an awesome trip.  We sure have some gorgeous places in this country.  I would love to go to Maine.  ;)

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/08/18 06:30 UTC »
   Good for you. I love the New England states. There's a lot of history to see along the coast. Not sure I've every heard someone compare the pizzas as they traveled that but I get it you had to stay with your budget. New York city is especially not cheap. Some of the best chefs in the world live there. Trust me they have good pizza, you just didn't spend enough money to have good pizza. What I really like is all the nationalities you see there. You can be eating at a restaurant and on one side of you a couple is speaking German and the other they are speaking French. People are there from all over the world. I just think it's cool and something I don't see at home much. Glad you had fun and got to experience it.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/08/18 10:05 UTC »
I think it was more of I didn’t hit the right places. I mean no your right i wouldn’t drop $13 on a slice but I wasn’t intentionally scraping the bottom of the barrel either. I think dumb luck played into it too. The better of the 2 places was near the WTC and the not great at all was a block or so from Times Square. I’m kind of a pizza junkie so I would have eaten pizza if I had a million dollar budget for the week. When I travel for work and turn in expenses it’s pizza,pizza,pizza, Mexican, pizza, pizza. Your correct on all the languages you hear while your there. I picked up on that pretty early in the day. I heard languages that I don’t think I have ever heard before. I was only in NYC for about 8 hours but I got to see a lot.

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/09/18 06:06 UTC »
  My wife's aunt has a small apartment in Manhattan. We like to visit once in a while around the Christmas time. That town is beautiful with all the lights and the windows all decorated.I like walking around Central Park where all the starving artist are. They allow them to put up stands and display their work that time of year. It's amazing what's out there. Being her aunt lives there we get the scoop on where to eat. At home it's rare my wife and I go out to eat but when we do it's top of the line all the way. We figure we can eat at home better and healthier then we can by eating out. If you like really good food NY can be a lot of fun. Not cheap but a lot of fun.

Online brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 11/09/18 20:53 UTC »

I love New England. My wife and I have made a couple of trips to New England in the fall, the leaves are beautiful that time of year. The last time we spent several days in the state of Maine. I ate a lobster every day. I couldn't believe how much better the fresh sea food tasted, over what we get around here. We had planned on going to Nova Scotia, but 3 days in a row the catamaran didn't go out, because of rough seas.

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/10/18 06:35 UTC »
I love New England. My wife and I have made a couple of trips to New England in the fall, the leaves are beautiful that time of year. The last time we spent several days in the state of Maine. I ate a lobster every day. I couldn't believe how much better the fresh sea food tasted, over what we get around here. We had planned on going to Nova Scotia, but 3 days in a row the catamaran didn't go out, because of rough seas.

If you were that far north did you stop and see the Bay of Fundy ?

Online brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 11/10/18 17:13 UTC »

No Lamar, I didn't, don't know alot about it. What did I miss?

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 11/10/18 18:54 UTC »
No Lamar, I didn't, don't know alot about it. What did I miss?

You'll need to check it out. As a fisherman I've always studied the tides. The Bay of Fundy has the worlds biggest tide. They even white water raft it when it's on the way out. Just a cool place to visit. It's like going to the southern part of Maine to Portland and not stopping at LL Bean. You're there. Why not ?

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 11/11/18 06:20 UTC »
That LLBean store is something else. Open twenty four hours a day. I don't remember if they're open on Christmas but I think so. Their clearance store has some good bargins in it. As I sit here typing the shoes I have on came from there. Picked up some other nice stuff. We were on a cruise and the nice thing about it was LLBean shipped everything home for us. Also across the street is a good place to get lobster rolls. Don't remember the name of the place, just that they had good food.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 11/11/18 12:42 UTC »
Lamar, I hear you on eating at home 1 yes We can eat healthier something I have been trying to do more of here in recent months. 2 the cost especially with there being 6 of us. I think the last time we all ate out it was almost $50 at Chick fil a. Every few months my wife and I will go out alone but that’s rare. Almost all of my eating out is in a restaurant is work related somehow and I either don’t pay for it or I get reimbursed for it.

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 11/11/18 16:30 UTC »
Lamar, I hear you on eating at home 1 yes We can eat healthier something I have been trying to do more of here in recent months. 2 the cost especially with there being 6 of us. I think the last time we all ate out it was almost $50 at Chick fil a. Every few months my wife and I will go out alone but that’s rare. Almost all of my eating out is in a restaurant is work related somehow and I either don’t pay for it or I get reimbursed for it.

Lol ! When I go to NY and take my wife, aunt and myself out my bill is almost always around 400 bucks. I'm not complaining a hotel in Manhattan is 1300 a night and I stay at her house fro free. So buying her a few meals is cheap.