Author Topic: Grinder at ready  (Read 2465 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Grinder at ready
« on: 11/11/18 13:02 UTC »
I finished the butchering this morning and have put  a 25 pound batch of summer sausage trim in the freezer along with a few 5 pound ziplocks of clean trim for sticks. I have a lug with 25 pounds of jerky meat all seasoned up and the cure working so smoking can start this week.

This part of deer hunting is almost as much fun as the hunt itself. I love working meat. I found out this morning I'm not loving getting cure in a cut though. 2 hours ago and that sucker is still on fire. lol
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Grinder at ready
« Reply #1 on: 11/14/18 09:28 UTC »
Can’t wait to see pics of the finished goodies when there done. Hope the finger is felling better.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/14/18 15:40 UTC »
The first round of jerky just went from the smoker to the oven to finish drying. I found a piece that was close to an internal vent and had dried enough on its own for me to sample. Man this is a good batch.

Here's a picture of the first round. Its ready to package and seal.

« Last Edit: 11/16/18 09:44 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 11/17/18 21:20 UTC »
That looks mighty tasty Tom. A plate of that and a beer would be great.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/18/18 07:35 UTC »
  Back close to 40 years ago when I was married to my first wife her dad owned a custom butcher shop. I mean a real custom shop where the farmer would drop off the cow, hog or what ever and he would kill it, hang in and package how ever you wanted it. He had a old fashion smoke house and when he butchered hogs you could smell that bacon along ways away. When deer gun season would come in he would shut down and just do deer for two weeks and I would come in after hunting all day and help out. I skinned, quartered and boned hundreds of deer in those two weeks and to this day if I even smell venison I feel sick to my stomach. The guy I really hated was the guys that asked to have it all ground up into sausage.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 12/03/18 14:09 UTC »
Sorry to hear that Lamar. I love my summer sausage and other ground meat goodies.

Here's 23 1/2 sticks ready for the smoker.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/04/18 05:41 UTC »
  No I love eating it. Just didn't like grinding up a hundred deer a season.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 12/04/18 07:50 UTC »
OK, that that's good you like the sausage. Maybe 20 years ago MN got a wild hair with their deer seasons and numbers of license per hunters in certain areas. I was in an area where with the right combination we could each have five licenses. I hunted with two other guys. I shot my five deer and had them in the garage hanging. The other two shot ten between them. I always have dressed out and cut my own deer. Somewhere along the line these other two thought I was doing theirs as well as mine. They thought they were just going to drop the deer at my place and I'd do them for nothing. I was quick to explain how I wasn't a custom butcher and that I wasn't licensed to handle other people's deer legally. In the end the ten deer they had went to a locker for processing. They each got the steaks and chops and roasts and summer sausage and snack sticks.....along with bills for around $400.00 apiece. They found out quick that processing isn't cheap. The following year I was hunting alone lol.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #8 on: 12/04/18 10:22 UTC »
Another batch of goodies for the holidays and maybe some for a cold midwinter snack.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 12/04/18 20:28 UTC »
I got the smoking and finish work done today so now they can hang a couple days to mellow the smoke out some and I'll bag and vacuum seal probably Friday.

Here's a slice from the short chub after hanging about four hours.

I'm telling ya this is the best summer sausage I have made to date.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #10 on: 12/04/18 23:10 UTC »
Not doubt Tom that is one awesome looking piece of sausage.

Offline Rex

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 12/05/18 10:25 UTC »
Looks good.

Wife, father and I are doing our 11 deer New Years weekend.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 12/05/18 17:15 UTC »
Great looking sausages Tom.  I haven't hunted for several years because of my legs and back-but when I did, I had a firm rule, only one deer per season (usually a plump doe).  That was enough work for me and enough deer for my family.  But as long as you got the stamina, good for ya
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.