Author Topic: Go Pro Cameras  (Read 723 times)

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Go Pro Cameras
« on: 11/13/18 13:04 UTC »
Any of you guys have experience with go pro cameras? I fish alone in my boat and I'm looking for a camera I can set up in the back of the boat to record my fishing trips or take single pictures when I musky fish. I have no idea what I'm looking for. I've heard that some will take a picture by voice command while your holding the fish?

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
Re: Go Pro Cameras
« Reply #1 on: 11/13/18 17:53 UTC »
I have 6 gopros. They are a good camera and do have voice control. But there are some things you should know before you dive into that realm. 1st, if you run the camera non stop you get about 2.5 hours of filming time per battery. Not terrible, but also not very long. 2) the lens is a fish eye lens and is designed to capture wide angle. They do not do distance very well. They also do not work great in low light ie sun up and sun down.

On the flip side they can do cool stuff. The voice control is one. Can take pictures, video, time lapse, shutter snaps. The new ones are water proof and you can get a additional case to go deeper into the water. This can be used on a pole to plunge the camera into the water and get shots of the fish being landed or swimming away.

You can do a lot with them but also have their flaws. If you have any specific questions you are welcome to PM me. I use them for hunting and fishing videos.

Now before you ask me about editing, I'm just starting to learn how but gopro editor program is free. Luckily for me, one of my best friends is a marketing director and graphic designer he does all of our stuff. But once you get it figured out you can make some pretty cool stuff

They also have a ton of mount accessories to fit your needs. If you go that route you will find more uses for the gopro than your original use. You can pretty much use it as a regular camera for all events.
« Last Edit: 11/13/18 17:57 UTC by Slow Burn »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/14/18 07:16 UTC »
Thanks for the info Slow Burn, that's the information I was looking for.

Offline CrappieCat

• Keeper
« Reply #3 on: 11/14/18 08:07 UTC »
This battery will give you alot of time and has endless mounting
capabilities .

https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Compact-Digital-Smartphones/dp/B0145TKFTW?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2530761011

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 11/14/18 15:56 UTC »
That seems to be a good mount/battery combo for the older cameras (4 and down). The newer cameras 5,6,7 and Fusion (a 360 camera) that port to plug into is now behind a water tight door. You could still use it like it's shown, but personally I wouldn't.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/14/18 17:18 UTC »
I highly recommend the Yolotek Powerstick. It plugs into your navigation light port on the back of your boat and adjusts to the perfect height. The BIG thing is that it keeps your GoPro camera charged! Yolotek also sells a "rainproof" silicone putty that you put around the USB connections (on the post and your camera) that works really well.

I have a GoPro 6 and the voice control works well, but I prefer the remote they sell. You can also download the app for your phone to make sure you have the camera lined up correctly and it also works as a remote.

I like being able to say "GoPro take a photo" and then check on the pic on my phone. By the way, you can also grab a high picture from your video footage.

The quality of the GoPro video is really excellent!

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/yolotek-powerstick-53-action-camera-boat-mount?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOc6Ynr_rkUrCJYasNbB1ZWtQBu8tLC3kHOLn1Se4CvYuU4JFBwXa4zxoCTcgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://yolotek.com/products/silicone-rainproof-putty
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/14/18 18:33 UTC »
Thanks for the information guys.