Author Topic: Essential vs Crystal Clear Plastisol  (Read 362 times)

Offline Rex

• Yearling
Essential vs Crystal Clear Plastisol
« on: 11/26/18 09:54 UTC »
Can someone tell me the difference?

I’m doing panfish/trout plastics, nothing big and not painting them.

Few more questions:

What does heat stabilizer do?

If I do the crystal clear will I need softener? Does that give the bait more “action” or just make the bait softer?

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Essential vs Crystal Clear Plastisol
« Reply #1 on: 11/26/18 16:51 UTC »
The difference, in my opinion, is determined by experience using the plastic at all. Crystal Clear is an excellent plastic and is offered in 3 degrees of softness but it can have a learning curve. The Essential plastic is wayyyy more forgiving during the learn stages and is, again my opinion, far better to learn with.

The Crystal Clear soft formula need no softener at all. The Essential can use some softener if you feel as though a softer plastic is needed in smaller baits. The softener works in either plastic.

Heat Stabilizer helps make the plastic less likely to burn if gotten a few degrees too warm. The Essential plastic is more forgiving when it comes to cooking and will handle some higher temps without any stabilizer. The Crystal Clear products, as mentioned, have a learning curve that includes being able to closely monitor cooking temps and some stabilizer added to it can help eliminate problems but there is still a curve that only time and experience can provide. Should you decide either way, the stabilizers helps with heat issues in both of the plastics.

Nothing can replace a good digital thermometer like the one Do-It sells in their catalog. If you learn to use the thermometer religiously  stabilizer can be nixed from the list of needs.

I make more small baits than large baits, primarily for panfish. I will soften the Essential on occasion making ice baits but I'm just as likely to use the Crystal Clear soft formula. I like both plastics. The Essential is by far the stronger, stretchier of the two plastics.

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 11/27/18 15:21 UTC »
Yeah  I  would  go with the essential series  as well it's what  I  have  used.  I just  don't  recommend  you buying more than  what  your going to  use to keep  put  back. I  recently  bought the  2.5 gallon  and  can't  use it   probably where I  had setting  for a  couple  months while  in the  closet so now I'm out 80 dollars  but I  guess  we  live and  learn.   I reccomend  you getting the heat  stabilizer also with your order and a good  digital  thermometer  to keep track of temperatures.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/27/18 16:00 UTC »
Shaun, take that box of plastic and shake the heck out of it. Set it down on the opposite adge or side for an hour and then re-shake the heck of of it. Let it rest so the bubbles settle down then use it. Nothing wrong with the plastic at all.

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 11/27/18 16:15 UTC »
Ctom I  will try that  but  I can't  for the life of me get bubbles  out of it.   I just  finally got to  that  box this past weekend with my son and  tried  several batches  of it  and  can't  get that  air out.  I  went and  bought a torch to  run across the top to pop bubbles  but that  doesn't  even  help much.  I   even  loaded  in some  glitter to  displace  the air  and  a good bit of it  and  still the same  thing.   I  haven't  had problems anything like this before  I'm assuming just  probably  where it set a couple months? I  mostly make crappie panfish baits so a 2.5 gallon box goes far as you no.  I bought  that to have  put back  because at the  time  I had a little extra  money.   I  really like the plastic  it's good stuff and the only brand  I have ever  used but obviously  frustrating.  I'm just assuming  probably  where it set a few months ?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/27/18 16:36 UTC »
Shaun....got a room with a dehumidifier running in it. If so, just barely crack the cover with the box upright so the plastic cannot leak and leave it in there a week, then try it.

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 11/28/18 18:18 UTC »
Yeah  I  can try that  thanks for the idea.   I wonder  if this vacuum  sealer  canister  would  work? I have  setting  around  just a idea came to my mind I'm not sure  it would  work or not? Thoughts?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/28/18 19:00 UTC »
Try it. One never knows.

Offline Rex

• Yearling
« Reply #8 on: 11/29/18 14:24 UTC »
DOes the worm oil go in with the plastic into the molds or is it added once they are bagged?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 11/29/18 14:55 UTC »
Worm oil goes in bags when the baits are packaged. A little will go a lonnnnnnng way so go easy on it. In a 4X4 bag maybe three or four drops will be plenty.

If you're going to add scent to the bags, mix a little of the scent up with a half a bottle of the worm oil and add a couple drops of the scented oil in lieu of a couple of the plain oil.

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 12/02/18 07:45 UTC »
Shaun. Let the cup of cooked plastic sit for a few minutes and cool down and then heat again to bring it back and the bubbles should disappear. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk