Author Topic: Shipping.  (Read 292 times)

Online LennynSquiggy

• Minnow
Shipping.
« on: 12/03/18 20:58 UTC »
If this question isn't appropriate for this forum then please delete me. Well, my post...    ;D

This question is for those who bag/sell their baits. How do you pack and ship your baits? I've seen ads on Facebook in buy/sell groups for lots of as many as 300 Neds shipped for $6.85 or 40 4' stick baits being shipped for $4. How are they packing and shipping for so little?

I've never dealt with this before so my searches have been less than satisfactory. Is there a resource someone can point me to? I'd really appreciate that.

P.S. The correct answer to "Largemouth and Smallmouth are both what type of fish?" is black bass. Just saying...   ;D

Offline bryanmc57

• Keeper
Re: Shipping.
« Reply #1 on: 12/04/18 09:28 UTC »
USPS priority flat rate through paypal shipping most likely.  Even so, they are probably paying part of the shipping.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/04/18 09:44 UTC »
The USPS will work with businesses who ship enough to qualify for bulk rates and the priority boxes I think can fall under that. These business purchase X number of dollars in postage which is applied to a registered machine. They weigh and print labels including the shipping rate right at the business place. The dollar amount for shipping is automatically deducted from their postage meter. What you'd pay and what those businesses pay are different  rates simply because of the volume the business handles. Business rates discount %'s vary depending on the volume and way shipping is done. You'll often see , say $4.00 shipping,  for  up to a certain dollar amount or shipping weight. At business rates it seems to work out because often times the more expensive goods being shipped are the least heavy, but the shipping cost is the highest.

Online LennynSquiggy

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 12/04/18 11:22 UTC »
The USPS will work with businesses who ship enough to qualify for bulk rates and the priority boxes I think can fall under that. These business purchase X number of dollars in postage which is applied to a registered machine. They weigh and print labels including the shipping rate right at the business place. The dollar amount for shipping is automatically deducted from their postage meter. What you'd pay and what those businesses pay are different  rates simply because of the volume the business handles. Business rates discount %'s vary depending on the volume and way shipping is done. You'll often see , say $4.00 shipping,  for  up to a certain dollar amount or shipping weight. At business rates it seems to work out because often times the more expensive goods being shipped are the least heavy, but the shipping cost is the highest.

Thanks. This was informative.

I tried asking a couple of these sellers via pm, one didn't bother to reply and the other one gave a smart ass remark and then bragged about the 8 million baits they sell every year...heh...

I needed to get 96 7 " ribbon tails into as small a package as possible, I repackaged them and now not only can fit them in a $6.70 flat rate envelope but they fit with room to spare so I'm looking for a smaller envelope now.

Offline GLG

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 12/04/18 19:48 UTC »
PM me the name of the one that gave a smart ass remark and then bragged about the 8 million baits they sell every year. So I know NEVER to Buy From Them!

Online LennynSquiggy

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 12/04/18 20:56 UTC »
PM me the name of the one that gave a smart ass remark and then bragged about the 8 million baits they sell every year. So I know NEVER to Buy From Them!

It's not that big of a deal, I actually laughed when he did it. If he would have said "make a purchase and find out that way" I'd have probably done it.

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/08/18 15:24 UTC »
I am not on here much anymore but I saw this and hope I could help a little.

Don't go by what those guys selling baits do on Facebook.  Most of the ones I have encountered do not have a clue of income versus expenses.  They are not getting discounts from the post office, they simply are not paying attention to their actual costs. That's why most of them are not in business very long when they realize they are costing themselves money. LOL.  Those same guys are the ones not paying taxes (especially the F.E.T.), not doing anything legitimately, etc.  The sad part is in our digital age, a lot of people look for the cheapest cost and run with it. 

This is my method, I know others have different ones:  I charge actual shipping (I use USPS) plus .75 to cover packing.  Anything up to 15.999 ounces ships First Class, over that ships Priority.  When over the 15.999 ounces, I start with Flat Rate Padded envelopes if it fits, then Medium Flat Rate, then Large Flat Rate.  Most of what I do will fit in one of the above.  All of the above boxes/envelopes are free from the USPS.  You can pick them up at your local P.O., or even order online and they will ship the boxes to your door for free.

Every once in awhile I will sell at auction and offer "free" shipping, but I start the bids over my cost.  That would be for excess baits, baits I won't be selling anymore, etc.

You can receive discounts from the USPS, but it is based on the prior year's volume.  Which is:
First Class - 5,000 pieces in prior year
Priority - 50,000 pieces in prior year
Express - 5,000 pieces in prior year

Hope that helps.

Online LennynSquiggy

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 12/10/18 22:37 UTC »
Thanks Super.

I found out I could pack 96 7" ribbon tails in a $6.70 flat rate envelope. So I offered a bulk order of 96 worms mix/match 6 different color choices for $49.95 shipped. Then in the PayPal invoice I priced the baits at $43.25 and $6.70 shipping for a total of $49.95. I'm not going to give away my work. My baits not only look at least as good as the stuff I see in BPS but they work and I have pictures to prove it.  ;D

Some guys think they have to have the lowest price out there in order to make sales no matter how ridiculous the price is.

Here's the first fish ever caught on one of my baits. Its a smallish bass and it hit that 5.25" stick in Charley's Special. Charley's Special was my third attempt at making something and it was supposed to be smoke colored but I added to much black and got grey instead. I didn't have much in the way of glitter, heck I didn't even have black or blue yet, so I dumped in some Christmas Tree glitter and called it Charley's Special.

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:25 »
Nice!  Nothing like that first fish pic with baits you made!  Sounds like you have the shipping down too.  Have fun!