Author Topic: Snack sticks  (Read 182 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Snack sticks
« on: 01/05/19 12:47 UTC »
.....about 13.5 pound of'em. Apple/hickory blend smoked for 4 hours. Finishing in the oven right now. I'll be chewing on a couple of these tonight.

Online olsarge

• Kicker
Re: Snack sticks
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/19 14:55 UTC »
Damn Tom, those things look amazing!!!!!!!!
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/19 16:36 UTC »
I can almost smell the picture!

Online Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/19 19:40 UTC »
I’d fish them. Try to e-core them bad boys with some cheese!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/19 19:58 UTC »
Try to e-core them bad boys with some cheese!

Don't get me thinking. They are tasty though.

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/19 21:31 UTC »
I tried my hand at these for the first time several months ago. Cantankerous little rascals to get just right.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/19 22:49 UTC »
I tried my hand at these for the first time several months ago. Cantankerous little rascals to get just right.

They can be something else that's for sure. Split casing is the biggest issue. I find that if I add a bit of [bottled] water to the meat after the seasonings and meat go thru the first grind things go better. I have a tower stuffer though and that is a big help, much better than stuffing off the grinder. Those jerky cannons can be used to stuff sticks too but they're no better than grinder stuffing in my opinion. My stuffer is a 5 pound. I picked up a stainless 3/8" nozzle for the sticks and I use the smoked 19mm edible collagen casings. The casings are a little tougher than clear casing or casing for fresh sausage and won't rupture very easy.

Since the stuffing aspect is generally slow going I only do small batches of the sticks. It took about 35 minutes to stuff the 13 pounds of seasoned meat I had.

The sticks are the most costly sausage to make too when one considers the cost of the casing vs pounds of sausage rendered. I can stuff 25 pounds of summer sausage in about 20 minutes and the casings will cost about $12.00. 25 pounds of sticks would take well over an hour to stuff and cost over $30.00 for the casings. BUT, the sticks are one very tasty treat, so they're worth the extra cost and fuss.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/06/19 00:58 UTC »
Yum I can taste them from hear.  8)