Author Topic: Every once in a while.....  (Read 193 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Every once in a while.....
« on: 01/07/19 18:56 UTC »
....something new will pop up that trips my trigger. Early on in the winter I saw some commentary on this neat little crank bait from Eurotackle called a Z-Viber. These in the picture are 1/16 ounce baits, the smallest they come in. The single hook is how they are packaged, but I pitch the single and add a Mustad treble in the size 14 shown. The baits are less than an inch long.

What got my attention was the bait's size. Many years ago I was ice fishing a local lake catching crappies at a fair pace and decided maybe I'd keep four or five for the table and scooped a five gallon pail half full of water and had my keeper fish in it. When I was ready to head home I noticed that the crappies had puked out a bunch of small sunfish, some still kicking. These sunnies were between 3/4" and an inch in length, obviously that year's spring hatch. But it was the first I'd found that crappies fed on those tiny sunfish. After that I started looking to use larger baits for the crappies and eventually rounded up a box or two of maybe different tiny crank-type baits, some floaters and some sinkers, and started using these occasionally when the crappies seemed to be on a tear and I did real well with them all winter long. Since that winter I have been open eyed looking for new "peanut" baits [as they are referred to] and now have maybe fifteen or so different brands. Most of these I use in open water now but I never stopped the hunt for these little guys. Then I heard about the Z-Vibers from a ice fishing acquaintance. I looked for them all over in Rochester and drew a blank. People in the Twn Cities were finding them hard to track down too so I leaned on the internet and ordered a half dozen and they arrived today. I also was in the Cities with Carole today and stopped at a shop and found a mess of them there so of course some followed me home. Now the count is up to ten.

These are smallest of all the peanut baits I have but at 1/16 ounce should cast pretty darned good come open water. I may just rig one on a rod and take the hike over to the local lake that has open water just above the dam and crappies are always found in that hole. Its always fun to put a new toy to work and the weather says mid 30's in the morning, maybe windy though. If it isn't too windy I will go fishing. I'm itching to try these little guys.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Re: Every once in a while.....
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/19 05:11 UTC »
Good luck Tom cool bait and mod. I once had a small rattle trap type bait that I was catching fish with that got taken by a pike when I was swimming threw a school of lake shiners the pike turned and grabbed a mouth full included my bait. Back then to find small hard bait were hard to come by but now with the ice fishing bait that are being made to target panfish there are a lot chose from.

http://www.sheltfishingtackle.com/shelts-new-vib-blanks-p-158.html

Here is one I found after reading your post
« Last Edit: 01/08/19 05:36 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/08/19 07:35 UTC »
WW...I saw the one from Shelt's a while ago, but at 1.7" its almost twice the size of the Z-Vibe plus its stockier. Of all the peanut baits I have the Z-Vibe is the tiniest yet. The Z-Vibe line of baits were available to open water anglers a couple years ago and in much larger sizes. The larger ones were found here first then this dinky one came along a year ago. I waited until some actual field use reports began to surface and fall anglers has super success with them then the ice anglers got in the picture. That's when I went on the hunt for them.

I think I'm getting a dozen of those you linked to from Shelt's next month as they are still inside the size range that crappies will get after.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/19 11:00 UTC »
Tom Shelt’s might be a late summer and fall when the year’s spawn have got a little bigger.

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 01/13/19 19:26 UTC »
Ok Tom, got my Z-vibes in the mail yesterday, sad but true didn't get to use them this week end.
You should have taken the photo with a quarter as the photo really doesn't do the size justice, the detail is unreal.
The lake trout we catch love little perch and the last ones I caught we no exception and these sure look like little perch.
They are the cutest damn little things I have ever seen.
I'm going to also have to change the hooks out as the ones they come with have almost no barb, but maybe they will work.
Even the wife thought they were cool and the grand daughter really liked the little fishes.
I'll try um next Saturday.
« Last Edit: 01/13/19 19:30 UTC by MT204 »

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/13/19 21:38 UTC »
Carole was gone for the day yesterday so I slipped over to Silver Lake a couple blocks from home and got down along the top side of the dam. There's open water there all winter and crappies are plentiful. I was rigged with one of the chartreuse numbers and caught maybe thirty crappies in fifteen minutes. The surprise fish was a northern about 8 pounds. I haven't seen  a northern above the dam in years.

MT....these little hard bodies are big on catching. By all means swap those single hooks for a treble. I used a size 14 Mustad 32647 bronzed hook on the 1/16 baits. I think that's the number.