Author Topic: 1/16 crappie jig with screw loc  (Read 4649 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: 1/16 crappie jig with screw loc
« Reply #15 on: 01/20/19 09:47 UTC »
A small dab of super glue on the shank of the hook/bottom of the round ball will also get the job done. We us a lot of jigs out of that Pro-101 1/16 (1250) and bigger. No modification nesc. The same can be achieved with the wire keeper jig as well.

The glue is what I usually do on smaller panfish baits. Those a bit larger I use the wires for the most part and both ways work very well.

I'm going to try the springs on a couple larger heads I use when casting Lake Trout plastics. Even with the double hook wire and glue some of these heavier plastics like to tear and slide on the hook. Glue helps some but maybe the spring will do a better job. Going to find out, but unless you're chucking some really large plastic the glue and wires work pretty darned good.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline bryan535

• Minnow
« Reply #16 on: 01/20/19 14:58 UTC »
A small dab of super glue on the shank of the hook/bottom of the round ball will also get the job done. We us a lot of jigs out of that Pro-101 1/16 (1250) and bigger. No modification nesc. The same can be achieved with the wire keeper jig as well.
Thanks Tommy! I'm shooting docks at the Lake of the Ozarks and trying to get away from super glue.

Offline TommySkarlis

• Kicker
« Reply #17 on: 01/21/19 07:12 UTC »
Thanks Tommy! I'm shooting docks at the Lake of the Ozarks and trying to get away from super glue.

Gotcha - Somebody once said: "Super glue is forever!" LOL true story

Have you been using screw lock jigs, and if so, how have they been working out for you?
Take somebody fishing soon!

Offline bryan535

• Minnow
« Reply #18 on: 01/21/19 15:46 UTC »
Gotcha - Somebody once said: "Super glue is forever!" LOL true story

Have you been using screw lock jigs, and if so, how have they been working out for you?
l

No I haven't but I'll let you know how they work.

Offline TommySkarlis

• Kicker
« Reply #19 on: 01/22/19 14:10 UTC »
l

No I haven't but I'll let you know how they work.

OK - My crappie partner Mike Baker shoots a lot of docks on LOZ -  I'll get the skinny from him - see if he ever used them.  I also know some guys that use a single wire weed guard for going over the cables and chains, etc.
Take somebody fishing soon!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 01/24/19 14:12 UTC »
Cold and windy here so I'm in the shop. I used the collarless Round Head Jig mold [CRJ-8-16332] that uses the wire keeper and dremeled out pockets on one of each sized cavities for the spring to lay in. That went well but the leg that gets cast in the head is offset and I needed to get the keep on the hook and in place in the mold then give the mold a swat with a plastic hammer to seat the wire. I found out the eyes aren't what they were at one time....lol

Seen in the picture are a 1/16 and 3/32 head, each with a #6318 Owner #2 hook. The 3/32 head can allow the keeper a little forward shift but the 1/16 will not handle any further forward positioning without the hook end of the arm protruding into the gate. Anyway, this is what I came up with and its really not that hard but it is a bit time consuming with the aging peepers.

I have some 1/4" sprue plastic that I'm going to try on the wires to see how well things work.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #21 on: 01/24/19 16:26 UTC »
Them look sweet Tom only thought I had was how do you screw the plastic without get stuck by the hook.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #22 on: 01/24/19 17:29 UTC »
Them look sweet Tom only thought I had was how do you screw the plastic without get stuck by the hook.
I'm kinda glad you asked. ;)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 01/24/19 18:45 UTC »
The OP has a picture showing another jig that these look just like. Kyle posted what looked to be a way to get that jig by casting one's own. I just did the mod to get to that point to show that making the jigs could be done. I haven't had time to actually thread a bait yet, but I will.
« Last Edit: 01/24/19 18:47 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 01/24/19 19:58 UTC »
I tried some actual baits instead of cheating with a section of sprue.

The 2 1/2" fry bait screwed right on but the tail section had to be swung under the hook several times to get it fully mounted. This was the 1/16 ounce.

The 3/32 ouncer got the 2 1/2" Fat Fry. I think the sloped front gave me problems in getting the bait aligned to start it squarely. I'm sure a bait with a more blunt front end, maybe like the Ned or a worm or some other rounder bodied bait, would allow the alignment to fit better.

The two baits shown rigged would work on either head size. And On that note I did try a 1/32 ounce conversion to use this system but the head volume was not sufficient to hold the spring's leg and in fact the spring's diameter was the same size as the head of the jig, so that size was scrapped.

One thing I will say about the spring keeper. If you get the bait on to your liking it don't think Hercules could cast it off. The Fat Fry was the second one I used to get the picture and getting the first one off rendered it junk. The down side is that for baits like the 1.5" Thump-It or baits with deep ribs and a smaller core this isn't very practical.

Like this thread has shown, the interest was there and Kyle sort of steered the thought process. It was a challenge and I know now that it can be done in these two smaller sized heads. I may make up some of each size but more than likely I'll dig in the old mold box and ferret out a 1/8 - 1/4 mold that makes collarless heads and fit these springs to those heads for some walleye goodies. Like I said, a guy can't hardly imagine casting a plastic off one of the spring keepers.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline bryan535

• Minnow
« Reply #25 on: 01/25/19 21:17 UTC »
I need to work on my mold modifying but I got it done. This is a 3" slab slayer and it won't come off and it won't slide down. I think its gonna work out very well.

Offline GLG

• Minnow
« Reply #26 on: 02/25/19 00:04 UTC »
How about a picture of the mold Modified and a picture of the jig with the Screw Lock with out the bait... There is a guy that makes the 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs for sale on crappie.com they're call 4x4 jigs... But there not Cheap... He also has a website... But I won't link it he don't pay this site for advertisement...
But he did use a Do-It Mold...

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 02/25/19 08:48 UTC »
GLG...go ahead and post the head he makes. This site is about tackle crafting, not $$.

When I worked with the mold to get the spring to work I also checked the viability of converting a 1/32 head at the same time. All I saw was a headache at that size so it wasn't attempted. The hook size conflicted with the spring and then the anchoring end of the spring would have a real tough time finding enough lead to hold yet still provide a clean head. I didn't try pinching down the hook that goes into the head itself. Lastly the spring would be far larger than most crappie baits will handle without issues unless the baits are getting into the 2 1/2" to 3" range. I'd be curious to see what was done so post it without worry.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they