Author Topic: Caney Creek Carrot - In Action!!!  (Read 10499 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Caney Creek Carrot - In Action!!!
« on: 01/30/11 17:27 UTC »
My wife and I went fishing today and she put a serious hurting on me (and the fish).  We fished quite a few baits, but the Carrot was by far the most productive.  Below are some pretty cool pics.

Yes, that little fish ate the 6" Carrot in a big way!!!

4" Carrot getting in on the action...

Offline TAE73

• Kicker
Re: Caney Creek Carrot - In Action!!!
« Reply #1 on: 01/30/11 21:15 UTC »
Looks good Jason, crazy how that one bait has become so versatile.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: 01/31/11 11:11 UTC »
It really is crazy.  I don't think you can really appreciate it until you fish it.  We had a blast with them.  Just by changing how you hook it can totally change the action of the bait.  I know this will replace the Senko for me.  Just way to versatile and action not to.

Thank you Ted for helping design the Carrot!

Tight lines!

Jason

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
« Reply #3 on: 01/31/11 11:22 UTC »
Are you rigging those on a Spot Sticker type head Jason? Twitching bait or just dead sticking?

Looking for the rigging info and way you are fishing those.

Jim

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: 01/31/11 12:47 UTC »
We rigged them wacky and Texas rigged with light weight (3/32).  The biggest key seemed to be hooking them at an angle.  You can rig them with the tail vertical (shimmies like a minnow), with the tail horizontal (more of a flap), or at an angle (causes them to fall at an angle and shimmy - looks just like a struggling bait fish).  I'll try and duplicate it in our tank but I don't know if it's deep enough to really capture the action.

The head you see in the pics is just the wacky head.  It is more or less a cross between a ball and football.  I don't think it's shape had any relevance...  I will be making something like this very soon because they were almost $6 for 3 of them!!!!  Ouch.
« Last Edit: 01/31/11 12:50 UTC by Jason »

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
« Reply #5 on: 01/31/11 13:42 UTC »
I intend on using the Zappu Inch head. Same head they are using for the flick shake baits. I have 3/32 and 1/64 oz in tungsten.

Barely see the weight with tungsten...

I gotta get in on some of this!!!!!

Jim

Offline shockley32

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 01/31/11 15:27 UTC »
Jason,

Way to go!!!  Everytime I go fishing with the carrot I'm amazed at all the species it catches.  I'm also amazed at how well they inhale the bait, I'm catching a lot of crappie not in the lips but on the roof of their mouth nearly half way back!!!!

Went out Saturday and caught a limit of crappie on the 2.5" carrot in just a couple of hours - however here's the kicker I caught a 9" shad in the mouth, yes a shad bit a 2.5" carrot.  It is the first shad I have every caught in the lips!!!

Brad

Are there any plans for a 5" & 6" slim carrot?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: 01/31/11 16:38 UTC »
I hope you put that shad to good use!

I can make a slim version if you are interested.  Would you want it the same diameter as the 4" Carrot?

As a side note, I am testing a wacky version - tail on both ends.  I'll be curious to see how it works (and if it's needed...).

Offline shockley32

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 01/31/11 18:55 UTC »
I'm not sure yet on the size.  Let me take a look at the 4" tomorrow, that is if I can get out to the shed - they are calling for 15-20" of snow tonight/tomorrow!

Brad

Offline nbarnych

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 02/01/11 23:26 UTC »
Hey Jason,

Can you post some more videos of your baits showing them in your tank with various rigging options and in the various sizes. I would actually like to see this done with all of your creations.

I think a good video/tutorial would be very helpful for people trying to select molds(I know I would appreciate something like that). It is tough to ACCURATELY gauge the exact size of soft plastic baits from a picture. A detailed video however, in my opinion, would be very helpful. There is quite a difference in size/bulk between 3",4",& 5" md craw. Same goes for the croakers. so I want to assume the same can be said for your new crappie carrots and birch bug but I'm not sure as I havent seen them up close.

For example, hold the 4",5", & 6" crappie carrots in your hand comparing size. Then show a few rigging options that you test in your tank.(and so on with other baits)

These are just suggestions as I'm sure this may be a little more time consuming.

Thanks for listening.

Happy customer,
       Nick

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: 02/02/11 08:36 UTC »
Hi Nick,

Great idea.  I will do my best to get videos done, but if I can't i will make sure there are pictures showing the difference.  I was working on molds until almost 12 last night...  As far as rigging and fishing, pouring techniques, etc.  I totally agree they need to be shared.  I will do my best in this area as well. 

We have several that are new to all this and I know it would shorten the learning curve for them.  There is a specific forum "Articles and Videos" that anyone who is willing to share their knowledge is encouraged to do so.  It can be as simple as how to rig a frog, different knots, gear reviews, to a video showing the entire injection process.  Anything that is helpful will allow me more time to shoot videos of new baits and stuff like that.

Thank you for the feedback.  Keep it coming.

Tight lines!

Jason

Offline shockley32

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 02/02/11 11:34 UTC »
Jason,

A six inch slim version the same diameter as the 4" would be awesome!!!!

It is now officially on my wish list. ;D

Brad

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #12 on: 02/02/11 13:40 UTC »
I added it to the list.  I'll do a 5" and 6".  Should be a good bait.

Offline CCM_JR

• Keeper
« Reply #13 on: 02/02/11 15:54 UTC »
Here are the 4", 5" and 6" Carrots for comparison...

Alex
« Last Edit: 02/02/11 16:40 UTC by CCM_JR »

Offline mikolay87

• Yearling
« Reply #14 on: 02/11/11 17:01 UTC »
a slim 6 inch would be awesome I just ordered the 4 inch I really like the sample