Author Topic: Baby Bass  (Read 5737 times)

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
Baby Bass
« on: 08/28/12 19:27 UTC »
Baby Bass

http://www.caneycreekmolds.net/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1370

First shoot of my own thought of Baby Bass. No color adjustments yet. I'll post a recipe once I make some adjustments. What do you think?

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Baby Bass
« Reply #1 on: 08/28/12 20:05 UTC »
Looks spot on to me. The only difference I do is use large black glitter.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #2 on: 08/28/12 20:19 UTC »
Didn't show up to well in the picture but the bottom has a green tint to it. I think I might add a little more green to it. Wish I had the bigger black flake.

Offline DobynsTriton

• Lunker
  • KLK Plastics
« Reply #3 on: 08/28/12 21:37 UTC »
i like it
KLK

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #4 on: 08/28/12 22:13 UTC »
Thanks!

4oz mix
7 drops x2 watermelon
10 drops regular ccm pumpkin
8th black flake

Bottom
4oz mix
6 drops white x2
5 drops regular ccm watermelon
1/8th of pearl powder.

The picture doesn't do the botton color justice. You have to make it to see the greenish tint the pearl white has. The picture made me want to add more green but when I held it in hand again I think it's just right.

Offline DobynsTriton

• Lunker
  • KLK Plastics
« Reply #5 on: 08/28/12 22:40 UTC »
ill have to try that in a swimbait & frog.im thinkin itd look killer
KLK

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #6 on: 08/29/12 04:57 UTC »
A frog was the first thing another friend said also. I don't make frogs yet so I'm curious to see!

Offline kipbass

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 08/29/12 06:18 UTC »
Are you using lam plates or a twin injector to do those? If using lam plates, how do you keep the two halves from peeling apart?

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #8 on: 08/29/12 07:11 UTC »
Lam plate. I'm using a trick someone on here taught me but haven't tested mailing in heat yet. I shoot the first and remove the runner I set the mold open on a hot plate to keep warm while I'm prepping the second color. Obviously wear gloves the mold will be hot but it keeps the first color tacky in the mold the. I close it and shoot the second. I've only done this on a couple batches so far but seems to work.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: 08/29/12 07:21 UTC »
Are you using lam plates or a twin injector to do those? If using lam plates, how do you keep the two halves from peeling apart?

We shoot laminates all the time use the lami plate and have never had an issue with baits separating.  Don't have to put it on a hot plate, etc.  Just make sure the second color is 350 or so.

Jason

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #10 on: 08/29/12 07:41 UTC »
I've only had one bait separate personally and that was mailing it to Florida where I'm sure it heats up a bit in a mail truck. Might have just been a fluke. The lam plate works great! Seems like the faster you can safely shoot the second color makes a difference or maybe it's just the cold basement I work in?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: 08/29/12 08:16 UTC »
The biggest issue I've had by far is if I let them sit for days, or weeks...  I'm sue some of it could be dust, but I think the fresher the plastic the better.  The temp of the second injection and a little pressure helps a lot also.  When doing multiple colors or hand pouring the hot plate is a must.

Jason

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 08/29/12 09:52 UTC »
I'm a big fan of the laminate plates and I seldom have a bait separate.

I make all my laminates within 30 min of each other at the longest.

Make sure the next layer is hot enough to bond with the bottom (melt it!)...so 350+  and.....very important!!!!.....inject slowly so that the hot liquid does not lift the bottom piece up (the effect of a fluid going over the solid surface is called the Bernoulli Effect and it is what causes an airplane wing to generate lift), you don't want that pesky lower piece generating lift causing the piece to come out of the mold enough to get plastic flowing around it.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #13 on: 08/29/12 10:08 UTC »
I'm a big fan of the laminate plates and I seldom have a bait separate.

I make all my laminates within 30 min of each other at the longest.

Make sure the next layer is hot enough to bond with the bottom (melt it!)...so 350+  and.....very important!!!!.....inject slowly so that the hot liquid does not lift the bottom piece up (the effect of a fluid going over the solid surface is called the Bernoulli Effect and it is what causes an airplane wing to generate lift), you don't want that pesky lower piece generating lift causing the piece to come out of the mold enough to get plastic flowing around it.

I learned shooting the second very slow quickly when I pull out a crazy looking mess because it lifted. Great info to pass on for sure.