Author Topic: Big River today  (Read 3217 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Big River today
« Reply #15 on: 08/18/13 07:45 UTC »
My fall rigging starts with a much smaller head but a 2" to 3" plastic. Those big river crappies can be absolutely feverish in the hits and fall is when the true feedbag gets put on those fish.

I'll work alll depths of water as long as sunken wood is there, or a deep weedline. Right at the seam between slack water found inside the cuts and guts along shore and the current from the main channel I can usually manage working a 3" plastic on a 1/16 head. Those heads however are carrying a #2 or #1 hook [modified mold] to accomdate the plastic size. The larger hooks weigh much more than the wire "standard" hooks and help getting things down fairly fast.

I have a half dozen 4 ounce bass sinkers that I have added a very small dou-lock snap to via a small split ring. Also to that split ring I have tied a thirty foot length of heavy snap line. When a jig hangs in wood, I snap the snap on the line to the jig and drop the weight while letting its line slide thru my hand. Jigs pop right off using this.

If you fish this area Tommy you may recall about twenty years back they did some channel revitalization and moved some of the channel based daymarks to set closer to shore. We found one of thier old rock piles with the corrugated sheet pilings still in place that topped out at around 10 feet in thirty feet of water. There was about four feet of weeds growing up off the top of the rock pile. The marker had been relocated about two hundred feet up the shore and the rip-rap along the shore where the old mark had sat had a lot of sunken wood, huge stuff, caught between the rocks and shoreline. We could catch huge sunfish on the rip-rap, move a bit to the deeper wood and get crappies until we were tired of them, move to the rock-pile and get walleyes right off the tops of those weeds with fair regularity. Five years ago this fall I caught a 19 inch PERCH on the top of that rock pile! My Jon boat doesn't have a well in it and this animal was an early morning catch. I couldn't see hauling it around all morning on a stringer or inside my 10" ice well so we put it back. It had awesome colors and when it came time to take the picture, guess where the camera and phone were. I still slip out to that spot, but its never done as well as that year. The water is about normal right now, maybe even a tad bit low so. If the rains don't get things ugly again this fall I am thinking that the rock pile will be good again. I know much of the wood got washed out with high water a couple years back. Hopefully there will be more that's washed in since the key seems to be that highway of wood between the rocks and shore. 

Offline Ram

• Minnow
« Reply #16 on: 10/04/17 18:18 UTC »
Ctom do you sell any of your baits. I'm looking for some tri color baits an if I don't find anyone. I'll buy a mold an start experiment on doing it.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 10/04/17 18:40 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums Ram. Right now I have stuff going on with life and I'm not selling anything. If I pick it up again this fall I'll be sure to let you know. 

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 10/04/17 20:09 UTC »
Fun time Tom

Offline Jordan

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper
« Reply #19 on: 10/05/17 08:51 UTC »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 10/05/17 08:57 UTC »
There'd be no more monsters if pictures were shown. Used to be a picture was worth a thousand words. Now its a picture is worth a thousand anglers....and most are keeping fish.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 10/05/17 12:06 UTC »
There'd be no more monsters if pictures were shown. Used to be a picture was worth a thousand words. Now its a picture is worth a thousand anglers....and most are keeping fish.

You said it... if any fish might be picture worthy, I first minimize the recognizable attributes that might be in the back ground before snapping the shutter, and second I minimize the sharing of those pictures to a select few people.

Online Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 10/05/17 15:55 UTC »
And most importantly be sure to lie about location!

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #23 on: 10/05/17 16:00 UTC »
And most importantly be sure to lie about location!

But tell the truth about the length of the fish-Bwaha ha
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 10/05/17 16:52 UTC »
When putting pictures of fish on facebook...I always lie about the lake! But most of the guys know the lakes I like to fish anyway. Best not to post pictures!

Online CrappieCat

• Minnow
« Reply #25 on: 10/05/17 17:04 UTC »
What was the three inch bait
that was used.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #26 on: 10/05/17 18:16 UTC »
What was the three inch bait
that was used.

A Jacobs 3" silverfish minnow with the split tail. Purple/chartreuse tail.