Author Topic: Improtance of UV (Ultraviolet) Lures  (Read 2092 times)

Offline MarkGuru

• Minnow
Improtance of UV (Ultraviolet) Lures
« on: 02/28/11 20:05 UTC »
New topic here.
Most or all sport fish have one UV cone and insects and birds see Uv light as well.

Check out www.uv-tackle.com for all the information - not a sales pitch for them here.

Basically, I think and a some companies making big money,

I am going after really big bass in Michigan this year and putting all of my 40 years of knowlege and emperical experience to do it. I am talking a bass over 7 pounds at least, for this summer.

Not by chance but by knowledge.

With this quest, I took all my best lures from the past 20 years (just a few left) and those that I bought over time that (to me) looked almost exactly like the originals.

Bought a UV flashlight from eBay and, I was surprised my best performing lures were flouressent under UV (black light) the cheap ones are in the spectrum that fish see, did my research.

So if you found this interesting.

And keep reading.

Check your colorants for the soft plastic lures with a cheap UV flashlight.

If you think you messed up and say "oh my gosh my colors are not good".

Never fear

Buy some engine oil UV dye for about $4.00 at your local automotive supply store.

Buy some mineral oil at your local CVS pharmacy.

Wash your lures in soap and water.

Put on rubber gloves, etc. if you are clumsy.

Get a quart jar and fill with mineral oil and put about 10 drops of the engine UV dye in the mineral oil.

Put the lid on and swirl until mixed.

Put your soft plastic lures in to soak for 1 hour.

Take out with some cheap ice tongs from CVS place in the sink, fill with hot soapy water to stop the interaction - or you will get rock lures that are not any good.

Regards

MarkGuru

Offline nbarnych

• Kicker
Re: Improtance of UV (Ultraviolet) Lures
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/11 13:44 UTC »
Is this uv thing for real???

Can you explain the difference to me?? What makes the uv color more appealing vs regular color??

Do perch, bluegill, and other baitfish give off uv color??