Author Topic: 8" Curl Tail Tips Question  (Read 3688 times)

Offline ghostrider

• Minnow
8" Curl Tail Tips Question
« on: 03/06/11 10:50 UTC »
I have Jason's 8" curl tail worm mold, and Jason's 8" curl tail tip mold. I am making 2 color worms.

First I'd like to report that the tip mold shoots great, the worm mold itself shoots great.  ;D

I am having a slight problem getting good results when I put the curl (which was shot in the tip mold) into the worm mold, and then shooting the worm mold.

About 1/2 of the finished worms have a bubble within 1" of the spot that the tip and worm connect. It makes a weak spot in the worm. The two parts adhere fine, but the bubble weakens it.

I have tried getting the plastic a tad hotter, a tad cooler, shooting it a little slower, a little faster,  holding it with the injector inserted longer, etc. It still leaves that weak bubble area in about half the worms I shoot.

I hope my explanation of the problem is understandable, and Thanks in advance for any ideas, tips, theories.  8)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Re: 8" Curl Tail Tips Question
« Reply #1 on: 03/06/11 11:27 UTC »
First, it should be, but I want to makes sure that your worm mold has a vent above the tail.

Assuming it does, can you do the exact thing you are doing but with clear plastic and post a picture of the result.

Also, can you give actual temps, brand of plastic and hardness (soft / medium).

After you shoot them with the clear plastic the way you normally do can you try the following:

1) Using the same clear plastic you are going to inject them again

2 This time, prior to injecting them, after you fill your injector hold it at a 45 degree angle over your plastic source and gently push out a little plastic to make sure there is no air in your injector.  You will see plastic come out then a little air then plastic again.  You are now ready to inject.

3) The temp should be fine from 320 - 350 degrees

4) Just rest your hand on the injector, you shouldn't need to push

If you are still getting air bubbles post the picture of the clear plastic baits.  It's amazing what you can tell by seeing what's inside a bait...  It normally will tell you exactly what's going on, or at least get you in the ballpark.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline ghostrider

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 03/06/11 11:43 UTC »
Okay, Thanks Jason.

I will get out there soon and try those steps, then report back.

Even though I do routinely purge my injectors, I haven't done that second step of holding it at an angle and running a little plastic back into the cup, so that may be the cause of the air bubble. I will check it all out shortly,
Thanks,  ;D

Offline ghostrider

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 03/06/11 13:26 UTC »
There are bubbles on the bottom one, but the top one seems to be okay

Some of these are okay, some have bubbles. But the bubbles aren't big enough to weaken the bait, so I see improvement.

I'm still at the 50% mark, about half with bubbles, half without. The temperature checked right, I double purged the injectors, might be the plastic. I'm using PolyOne, just to get it used up. I like M-F better, but I'm out right now. And the molds are vented correctly, I checked that first. The PolyOne is just regular, not super soft, or medium. I used just a little softener. Not too much though, it gets sticky real easy.
« Last Edit: 03/06/11 14:23 UTC by ghostrider »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: 03/06/11 14:31 UTC »
The second part was really what I was curious to see.  My guess is you have air in your injector.  The pictures, and baits that are getting them, would lead me to believe this is probably the case.  See how the air bubbles are in a string.  If it was trapping air it would be in a pocket and normally at the top.  These run through the bait and probably came in already in the plastic.

That's why I suggested holding it at an angle and pushing some plastic / air out.  You really shouldn't have to purge the injector if it's already warm (I rarely do unless it's a very cold injector).  Purging just introduces more air bubbles into your plastic.  Try holding it at a 45 degree angle (tip up), waiting a few more seconds to let the air rise, then push about a 1/4 ounce of plastic out.

PolyOne is a really nice clear soft plastic, but is far from the easiest to work with.

Feel free to give me a call and we can talk through this if it's easier.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: 03/06/11 14:32 UTC »
As a side note, I really like that red and would love to see some of the worms you are making...

Offline Underdog

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 03/06/11 14:50 UTC »
Hey there

Im diggin that red as well. Im not sure but you my have very small bubbles in your plastic. This is a pain in the neck but I heat up my plastic 350 let it sit on my hot plate yes in my anchor cup most of the bubbles go to the surface then i scrape them out with a spoon. ! also heat my injector and do not purge. after you scrape the bubbles off the top heat to temp again put back on the hot plate and see if more air comes to the top if it does repeat till its gone. You dont need a hot plate to try this just what I do.Hope this makes sence.

shawn

Offline ghostrider

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 03/06/11 16:32 UTC »
Okay Thanks for the info. I have a big griddle that I have been wanting to use, the only problem is that my garage is short on circuits. But if it would prevent this problem, I will run a cord out there from another circuit. And with not purging so much, I will hopefully lose all those little bubbles.

I was making watermelon with black flake, small and medium, then with a red tail. I will post a picture of them so you take a gander at what I was going for, and like I say, I hit the 50% mark, but with you guys advice, I think I can do better. I just started pouring a couple of weeks ago, so I really appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Teddy

Offline ghostrider

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 03/06/11 16:51 UTC »
The first two pics are what I was after, the third one is just cinnamon/blue lams.

I will work on becoming more bubble-free.
Thanks,
Teddy  ;D

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: 03/06/11 17:12 UTC »
Those are some great looking worms.  I'd say you're more than well on your way if you've only been doing this a few weeks.

Great job!